cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 rep stating that O2 will not honour Huawei warranty because its Googles fault,

StevenGW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Im not even going to attempt to quote anymore consumer law. But if my 3 month old Huawei Mate 20 Pro becomes no longer fit for purpose for which it was sold then Im entiled to a replacement or repair.

But according to this O2 rep im screwed and my phone wont be replaced under warranty..

[Removed chat transcript]

I then contacted O2 via my phone, and also got the same brush off..

O2 reps seem to not give a damn and are being told to tell us, too bad tough, not our problem.

This really needs to goto the press.. Ive just contacted the BBC news and Watchdog.

I'm probably not even right in half the things I'm saying, but one thing I do know, I've a £1000 phone, which Google and Huawei have now killed, which is covered under warranty, which O2 won't honour, im not to happy..

edit: posted by another user.

if we are for discussing terms and conditions can you state where it says on o2s terms that your phone can be allowed to be blocked from any form of updates, and security updates which are essential to the functioning of a phone well within its warranty period, consumer rights states an item you purchased can not be changed or altered from the state in which you purchased it which is now quite clearly the case.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris_K there needs to be something official & concrete from O2 regarding this issue ASAP 

Message 3 of 17

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Haven't Google and Huawei confirmed current devices will still have access to play store and security updates?
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:
Haven't Google and Huawei confirmed current devices will still have access to play store and security updates?

They have but everyone seems to blame o2

Message 5 of 17

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I mean I'd say it's a situation beyond their control myself.
There's always been a reason I never bought Huawei, this was always on the cards
Message 6 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

I just took a look at the Vodafone UK Forum. There are complaints there too. This is a response from their admin:

"In response to today's Huawei news - we're waiting for a statement from Google.

From what we've heard so far, everything should work as normal and there’s no need to take any action at this stage. We'll post an update as soon as we know more."

Edit: EE as well. https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android/Regarding-the-Huawei-Android-ban/m-p/773678#M54030

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 17

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Personally, I think everyone should calm down and wait to see what the official statement from O2 is.

Google, a US company, is simply following the new ban implemented by Trump against Huawei. Whether we agree with the ban and its affects on the new Huawei phones or not. Google really had no choice in the matter and their decision affects ALL mobile network operators not just O2.

I know owners of the new Huawei phones are upset and I can understand why. But blaming O2 gets you nowhere, particularly as O2 have not yet said what, if anything,they plan to do. This problem was not of their making nor was it Google's. The blame, if any, lies squarely at Trump's door. 

That doesn't help owners of new Huawei phones; I appreciate that but I'm just trying to put it all in perspective. 

And before people start running off to complain to the Press, the BBC etc, perhaps wait for an OFFICIAL statement from O2 first; not what an O2 rep in India says, who likely is working from a script and has no clue what O2 intend doing.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 8 of 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I still think I can kiss goodbye to my Honor View cry

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 17

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I still think I can kiss goodbye to my Honor View cry

You may well be right @Cleoriff though I sincerely hope not. It's really a question of what O2 will do, if they can do anything. And I honestly don't think there is much they can do. But I'm very far from an expert in matters of this kind. Like everyone else, I'm waiting to hear what O2 says on the subject. And very much hope they make an official statement soon for the sake of all the  owners of the new Huawei phones, as well as yourself.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 10 of 17