cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 data running out extremely quickly

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I have a 5GB of data a month iPhone 7 contract which runs out on my phone within a week of it being reloaded in the month, I have also topped up with an additional 8GB this month and that's gone within a week too...the way I see it, I work at home and I'm connected to my wifi 80% of the time, the wifi/router is never off as I work on a computer and if the wifi did go off my work computer would stop working - which it doesn't. I find it impossible that I have used 13GB of data this month but somehow its happened so there must be something else going on here...has anybody else had the same problem with the iPhone 7/O2?...part of me thinks there is some scam going on where the iPhone software disconnects the wifi on the phone so we eventually have to buy more and data but that's a long shot. Any fix options would be great as O2 data isn't cheap...I'm thinking of moving to another provider that offers unlimited data if I cannot fix this as my phone bill is costing me near £100 a month which is disgusting.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Your iPhone will use data whenever wifi is not in use or the phone is not in using The wifi. Check your data usage as you may have a rogue app. Turn off background Refresh, wifi assist & only have mobile data switched on for the apps you use most when not connected to wifi

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No one offers unlimited data anymore do they?
Anyway, check you have wifi assist turned off. Settings >Mobile data and scroll to the bottom.
Other than that, check you data usage logs and see where it's being used.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Your iPhone will use data whenever wifi is not in use or the phone is not in using The wifi. Check your data usage as you may have a rogue app. Turn off background Refresh, wifi assist & only have mobile data switched on for the apps you use most when not connected to wifi

Message 3 of 6

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

the iPhone software disconnects the wifi on the phone so we eventually have to buy more and data

Nail.....Head....Hammer wink

Check your Settings for Mobile Data and WiFi priority

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

the iPhone software disconnects the wifi on the phone so we eventually have to buy more and data

Nail.....Head....Hammer wink

Check your Settings for Mobile Data and WiFi priority

Used to be the case but wifi will now remain connected when phone is locked. 

There was a problem a few years ago with iPhones using excessive amounts of data but that hasn't been heard of for quite some time. 

Wifi assist, as I mentioned before, is the most likely culprit now but either way, the data use will be recorded on the phone so easy to see where it's going. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous did you find out what was causing your data usage to be higher then expected? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 6 of 6