Did you mean: 

O2 Refresh upgrade and damaged phone

xxscrappyxx
Level 4: Observant
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hopefully this is in the right forum.

I am on O2 refresh and I can currently upgrade my phone. The messages on my O2 say they will pay off the remainder of my device plan if I choose to tradein and upgrade.

Can someone explains what this means please?

I have a dilemma in that I dropped my phone last week and the glass is damaged. I am wondering if I need to fork out the eyewatering £200 to get it repaired before I trade it in, or if I can still trade it in and my old plan gets paid off like they have said.

Thank you x

Message 1 of 32
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi Everyone,

So I popped in to a high street store at lunchtime today.

Chap behind the counter told me that the phone has to be in A1 condition in order to trade in the phone. The fact that I dropped it makes it ineligible, and I would need to get it fixed before I can trade it in. I said ok and left.

Now here is the thing. The terms and conditions clearly state that "providing you trade in your Existing Phone through O2 Recycle  we will waive the outstanding balance". It also says "The O2 Payment above will be made regardless of the value of your existing phone. Where your existing phone is worth less than the O2 payment you will not be required to pay the difference".

So when I go to O2 Recycle / Trade in whatever you want to call it, I put in my phone and state it is damaged and it says I will get £48.40 for it. So, I don't understand what they are playing at, or have I totally misunderstood this all?

Surely they are not bending the rules to suit themselves are they?

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A guide to Refresh here. You have to pay off the device plan before you are then able to upgrade to a new one

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/o2-refresh-explained

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093

Obviously if you want to trade in early for an upgrade, the phone needs to be in good condition..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Just to clarify the conditions about an early upgrade/ trade in

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/o2-refresh-trade-in

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 32

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@xxscrappyxx which tariff and phone do you have ? and what is the exact wording of the upgrade offer you are seing as it should take you to a set of t&c for the offer ?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 32

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

It's a Samsung S7 on the 30GB tariff taken out last year March.  

Screen shot of msgs below

20170402_101301.png

Screenshot_20170402-101032.png

Message 5 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@xxscrappyxxThanks for that...Please look at the conditions required in my post above....if trading in to upgrade) It states

• Does it turn on and off?
  • Is it fully functional and not missing any parts?
  • Is the screen working and intact?
  • Is the battery included?
  • Is it free from liquid damage or damage from being crushed?
  • Is it the original device and does it meet the manufacturer’s specifications?

Obviously your phone is damaged so wouldnt meet the criteria. You could contact customer services to  double check but I doubt they will tell you anything different http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 32

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks for that!
Message 7 of 32

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

the t&c you are bound to are these the original offer terms http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/archive/promotions/30gb-data-tariff-12-month-upgrade-offer-te... not the new ones.

I would pop into an ot store to clarify as they have to do the upgrade anyway.

I quote note the bits I have made bold

If following 12 months of your O2 Refresh Minimum Term you have an outstanding balance on your existing O2 Refresh Agreement, provided you trade in your Existing Phone through O2 Recycle under 3c above we will waive that outstanding balance (“O2 Payment”).  Existing Phone, if iPhone, must be unlocked from your iTunes account and factory settings restored and must meet the minimum condition requirements set out in the Your Device section of the terms and conditions at O2recycle.co.uk without any reduction for damage i.e. the 100% criteria to be eligible for trade in.

The O2 Payment above will be made regardless of the value of your Existing Phone.

Where your Existing Phone is worth less than the O2 Payment you will not be required to pay the difference.

Where the value of your Existing Phone is worth more than the O2 Payment, O2 will not be obliged to pay you the difference between the O2 Payment and the actual value of your Existing Phone

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 32

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thank you for this. It is pretty clear. But I will pop in to clarify😊
Message 9 of 32

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Let us know what they say @xxscrappyxx as this is an interesting one and will be good to know if the terms are honoured. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 32