Did you mean: 

O2 Refresh upgrade and damaged phone

xxscrappyxx
Level 4: Observant
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hopefully this is in the right forum.

I am on O2 refresh and I can currently upgrade my phone. The messages on my O2 say they will pay off the remainder of my device plan if I choose to tradein and upgrade.

Can someone explains what this means please?

I have a dilemma in that I dropped my phone last week and the glass is damaged. I am wondering if I need to fork out the eyewatering £200 to get it repaired before I trade it in, or if I can still trade it in and my old plan gets paid off like they have said.

Thank you x

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Also, their T&C state

1. To take advantage of the 12 Month Upgrade Offer Customers must (a) have purchased their Existing Phone on O2 Refresh together with a 30GB 24 Month Airtime following 21st February 2016(b) have not more than 12 months remaining on their o2 Refresh Minimum Term and (c) trade in their Existing Phone through O2 Recycle and (d) upgrade their handset to another mobile handset on an O2 Refresh Contract through O2 Stores.

Re-cycle gives me a price..

Message 21 of 32

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Just got off Live chat with O2.

I am clearly going to have to take the hit and pay to get the phone fixed.

1. If following 12 months of your O2 Refresh Minimum Term you have an outstanding balance on your existing O2 Refresh Agreement, provided you trade in your Existing Phone through O2 Recycle under 3c above we will waive that outstanding balance (“O2 Payment”).  Existing Phone, if iPhone, must be unlocked from your iTunes account and factory settings restored and must meet the minimum condition requirements set out in the Your Device section of the terms and conditions at O2recycle.co.uk without any reduction for damage i.e. the 100% criteria to be eligible for trade in.

Do I risk it and take it to a "back street" and get it done "on the cheap" or close my eyes and hand over £200 of my very hard earned bucks?

Another thing, can't remember if I had mentioned this or not, but the USB port went on the phone so I could no longer fast charge it.  Went to get it fixed at a Samsung shop (the phone was still under warrantly) , but they had none of the parts in stock and wouldn't for about 2 weeks.  I was tavelling at the time so needed my phone.  

After a coupe of weeks I went back in - they had it in stock but by then I had dropped and cracked the phone.  They said they could not fix it for free now because I had dropped it.  Apparently this automatically invalidates the warranty.  

So even though there was a pre-existing fault that they were more than prepared to fix (which involved removing and replacing both front and back screens), they would no longer do it because I had dropped the phone..  Go figure Bang

Message 22 of 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sounds like they got you by the short and curly's, whichever way you turn......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 32

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Sounds like they got you by the short and curly's, whichever way you turn......

They sure do!!

Message 24 of 32

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So I have decided to sell the phone on eBay as it is.  Along with my Samsung VR.  Both should get me the  £300 I need to pay off the phone contract and upgrade. 

This to me seems like a better option than getting the phone repaired for £200. 

Message 25 of 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Hope you get your cash for it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 32

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I will let you know how I get on! 😊

Always sold my old phones on eBay and never had any problems.  Never sold a broken phone before though so we will see!

Message 27 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Absolutely no surprise to me that they took this stance. Anything to get out of any sort of contractual obligation.  Mind you...from the time you posted yesterday I never thought this was going to be a clear cut case..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 32

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Sorry I did not respond yesterday @xxscrappyxx but raise a complaint asking for full clarification of the minimum requirements of o2 recycle as that is what the t&c state for the 12 month upgrade.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 29 of 32

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Ended up selling the phone for just over £200 which I am pleased about. Also sold another free gift I got from O2 last year so made a total of £250. Already paid off the device so now just gotta post off this S7 phone as soon as the S8 arrives which I hope and pray will be tomorrow.

And it's my birthday today so all round I'm a happy bunny right now 😁
Message 30 of 32