Did you mean: 

O2 Refresh upgrade and damaged phone

xxscrappyxx
Level 4: Observant
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hopefully this is in the right forum.

I am on O2 refresh and I can currently upgrade my phone. The messages on my O2 say they will pay off the remainder of my device plan if I choose to tradein and upgrade.

Can someone explains what this means please?

I have a dilemma in that I dropped my phone last week and the glass is damaged. I am wondering if I need to fork out the eyewatering £200 to get it repaired before I trade it in, or if I can still trade it in and my old plan gets paid off like they have said.

Thank you x

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

xxscrappyxx
Level 4: Observant
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So having read the T&C's over and over and over again, maybe it is not so clear?

If following 12 months of your O2 Refresh Minimum Term you have an outstanding balance on your existing O2 Refresh Agreement, provided you trade in your Existing Phone through O2 Recycle under 3c above we will waive that outstanding balance (“O2 Payment”).  Existing Phone, if iPhone, must be unlocked from your iTunes account and factory settings restored and must meet the minimum condition requirements set out in the Your Device section of the terms and conditions at O2recycle.co.uk without any reduction for damage i.e. the 100% criteria to be eligible for trade in.

Does this mean that only an iphone should meet the minimum O2 Recycle requirements?

Bit in green - what does that even mean?

Message 11 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The way you are reading that @xxscrappyxx means IF you have an iPhone. The actual T's and C's refer to a S7, S7 Edge and iPhones http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/archive/promotions/30gb-data-tariff-12-month-upgrade-offer-te...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 32

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I still think if the phone (whatever it is)  is damaged it wont fully meet the criteria. Particularly if the price is set by O2 Recycle. The only way you will know for sure is when you ask about trade in and the phone is assessed....? It appears to be guesswork otherwise. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 32

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I suppose my confusion is stemming from my account telling me I have  two options.  . Don't know

option.png

option2.png

Message 14 of 32

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The way I read it is if you trade it in the upgrade price is covered regardless of condition but if you recycle, this is dependant on condition.
Obviously, in some cases you could get more money by recycling, but not in your case as it's damaged.
That's just my interpretation of it though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 32

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

You have to do it in store for your offer that is in the relevant T&C posted above I would go in store and get it clarified 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 16 of 32

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
The way I read it is if you trade it in the upgrade price is covered regardless of condition but if you recycle, this is dependant on condition.
Obviously, in some cases you could get more money by recycling, but not in your case as it's damaged.

@MI5 And mine .

My iPhone 6s went back to the store and I got more than the remaining device plan as it was in a1 condition( and the took the excess off my upfront payment for the 7) but if it had been below mint condition / damaged it would have paid the £300 device plan off as per the T&C I posted above i.e. O2 take the hit of the damaged screen 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 17 of 32

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

@MI5 And mine .

My iPhone 6s went back to the store and I got more than the remaining device plan as it was in a1 condition( and the took the excess off my upfront payment for the 7) but if it had been below mint condition / damaged it would have paid the £300 device plan off as per the T&C I posted above i.e. O2 take the hit of the damaged screen 

That's handy to know.  I will go in to one of the stores and ask them and see what they say.  I shall post back here and let you know what the outcome is.

Thanks for all your responses guys.. you have all been extremely helpful slight_smile

Message 18 of 32

xxscrappyxx
  • 69 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi Everyone,

So I popped in to a high street store at lunchtime today.

Chap behind the counter told me that the phone has to be in A1 condition in order to trade in the phone. The fact that I dropped it makes it ineligible, and I would need to get it fixed before I can trade it in. I said ok and left.

Now here is the thing. The terms and conditions clearly state that "providing you trade in your Existing Phone through O2 Recycle  we will waive the outstanding balance". It also says "The O2 Payment above will be made regardless of the value of your existing phone. Where your existing phone is worth less than the O2 payment you will not be required to pay the difference".

So when I go to O2 Recycle / Trade in whatever you want to call it, I put in my phone and state it is damaged and it says I will get £48.40 for it. So, I don't understand what they are playing at, or have I totally misunderstood this all?

Surely they are not bending the rules to suit themselves are they?

Message 19 of 32

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

That was my fear to be honest with you.
The wording could be interpreted either way.
My next step would be to raise a complaint to get clarification on what is actually O2's policy.

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 32