Did you mean: 

O2 Network suddenly withholding my mobile number

Kernow_Mark
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi All,

Bit of a strange one, and had no joy with reporting the issue via the O2 My Network App, so opening it up to a wider audience ..

I've got an iPhone 7, and have always had my Caller ID settings to present/show my phone number.

As of late, on at least 3 occasions, in 3 seperate areas (differents cell towers) the O2 network has decided to show my number as unavailable ? 

A bit annoying for me as most of my friends and relatives use a True Caller call-screening device, which will only accept inbound calls from numbers in it's whitelist.  Hence, whenn True Caller gets an inbound call that presents as Unavailable or Witheld it doesn't connect the call, but screens it (adding maybe 30 seconds, maybe more) to the call I'm making.  When you're in a hurry, it's a right pain in the proverbial.

So, O2 - what's going on ?  I've reported it via the My Network App, but no faults have been identified, but clearly there has been a problem.  Is it going to happen again ?  What are you doing about it ?

If there are network upgrades going on, then a helpful heads up would be great, otherwise me thinks you've problems with your network that you aren't admitting to wink

Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kernow_Mark
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Just wanted to post an update ...

Thanks to Emilie, O2 have taken this on-board, and to their credit have been very prompt in investigating this.

I've had 2 phone calls from Customer Care and also a Network Engineer in the last 48hrs, and their assistance is ongoing.  Thanks O2 (and everyone else) ... I truly wonder if any other network would go this far to assist a customer.  Top marks from me, and yet another reason why I'm staying with O2 - their customer is 5 star slight_smile smiling

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Kernow_Mark Have you checked your network coverage here https://status.o2.co.uk/ ?

Or there is a guide here on checking network problems https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-can-I-sort-out-my-network-issues/ba-p/1014088

Apart from that, as I don't have an iPhone I can't offer any other advice. Sorry

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 22

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Hi @Kernow_Mark

Unfortunately we can't answer your questions that are directed towards O2.

All wecan advise is that you keep onto customer services or raise a complaint with them.

Resolver gets good results.

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 22

Kernow_Mark
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hi Cleoriff ..

Yep, checked for local issues and network problems, nothing showing up 😠
Message 4 of 22

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Kernow_Mark I’m not saying that this is a fix.

but try putting 1470 in front of the number before you dial it. .

so for example if you had a Mobil number of 071234 etc.  Put 1470071234 etc so the 1470 is in front of the dialled number.

this command should  force the number to be shown.

.also if possible. Try the SIM card in another mobile, and if possible obtain a new SIM card from a o2 shop, see if a replacement SIM card resolves the issue. 

I know now you have said that you have checked the mobile settings and it’s showing it will send your number when you make a call.  Question is, does it happen to every call you make? Or is it random.

Last question, does this happen only to friends with Trucaller?  If this is the case, the fault may be down to how Trucaller is interpriting the CLI from the network.  As Trucaller is a separate app, it could be causing a miss understanding of the inbound call.  Why now ask you friend to turn of true caller or disable it or even delete it and then you try to call again, always worth a try

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 5 of 22

Kernow_Mark
  • 9 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Putting 1470 in front of the number allows the call to go through, presenting my Caller ID as expected.

It doesn't happen on every call, but on random calls - including to people who don't have TrueCaller on their landlines.  My call presents to them as Unavailable (not witheld) ...

If I get my wife to turn Truecaller off (on the landline) then my number is either presented to her (as expected) or on random occasions it will present as unavailable.

All software / firmware is upto date on my iphone.  Have also tried re-booting it, but it still happens on random calls.  Haven't tried a replacement sim card yet ... not convinced it's the sim card, but more of a local network issue.  As far as I can tell, there is no network maintenance ongoing either.

Message 6 of 22

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Likey it will just fix itself when they reboot something network side.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 22

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Just to check it isn't your phone, you can dial *#31#  to see if your phone is set to send or withold CLID next time you make a call. (CLID - Calling or Caller Line IDentity)

(if it helps, @Kernow_Mark - could be a mast change near you has not been configured to pass CLID in your area, but as someone else has said, all should revert to normal when the O2 side realise and reset/correct...)

Message 8 of 22

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Kernow_Mark Very strange one in deed.  I would say it’s some sort of bug in he software like it’s been mentioned and hope it will get resolved soon.

glad the 1470;works. Not idea though.

do keep us informed if it does get resolved and if it was a software update etc.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 9 of 22

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Kernow_Mark, I'm sorry to see that your Caller ID is still giving you some trouble. I've sent you a quick PM now to get some more info and see what can be done to help you further slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 22