Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Level 2: Apprentice

Re: O2 EU Roaming versus, Vodafone, Three, Asda, BT and Tesco. Dublin 13th July 2017

[ Edited ]

Currently at Rome Airport and have H+.

Just done a speed test and got 11.62 Mbps down and 2.42 Mbps up. So no 4G but a respectable speed.

Screenshot_20170904-135720.png

Highlighted
Topics: 552
Solutions: 13,442

Re: O2 EU Roaming versus, Vodafone, Three, Asda, BT and Tesco. Dublin 13th July 2017

Not expecting 4g just yet but that is certainly an improvement.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Level 6: Acolyte

[ Edited ]

@Unknown_M wrote:
Hi, did you manage to speak to your friend in France? Cheers

I just spoke to him -- his phone is saying "You have no data plan" and he can't get any roaming data. He can make and receive calls though. Weird. Bit annoying for him as he can only check emails once a day once he's back at the place he's staying and he's having to do bits of work (some of which he needs me to do). So no telling yet whether O2 have lifted the restrictions!

P.S. Those Rome airport speeds are a definite improvement. (If @soulframe is on an O2 contract and not on PAYG?)

Highlighted
Topics: 573
Solutions: 3,881

@soulframe wrote:

Currently at Rome Airport and have H+.

Just done a speed test and got 11.62 Mbps down and 2.42 Mbps up. So no 4G but a respectable speed.

Screenshot_20170904-135720.png

At least that is usable now so good news and thanks for letting us know. That's a better speed than I'm getting here on 4G....

Highlighted
Level 2: Apprentice

@GJD

Yes, I'm in contract pay monthly, not pay as you go.

Highlighted

@GJD wrote:

I just spoke to him -- his phone is saying "You have no data plan" and he can't get any roaming data. He can make and receive calls though. Weird.

He's got the wrong apn on his account.

He can change it in his MyO2 or call customer services to do it for him.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Highlighted

@MI5 wrote:

@GJD wrote:

I just spoke to him -- his phone is saying "You have no data plan" and he can't get any roaming data. He can make and receive calls though. Weird.

He's got the wrong apn on his account.

He can change it in his MyO2 or call customer services to do it for him.

My MyO2 do you mean the app or the website? And would texting ACTIVE to 2020 work from abroad? Many thanks, MI5!

Highlighted

I'm pretty sure you can do it in the app, but definitely on the website.
Texting Active probably won't help if it's the wrong tariff he's on at O2's end but worth a try.
If not he can change the apn manually to suit his plan. Is it an iPhone?

Currently using:
Highlighted
Level 29: Intuitive

Good to see such an improvement on speeds. Now here's hoping that 4G roaming gets agreed soon
Highlighted

@MI5 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can do it in the app, but definitely on the website.
Texting Active probably won't help if it's the wrong tariff he's on at O2's end but worth a try.
If not he can change the apn manually to suit his plan. Is it an iPhone?

Yes, it's an old iPhone: he had swapped the SIM from his broken Sony phone, probably without updating the settings which would explain why it's not working properly. I've forwarded him this:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Connecting-iPhone-to-Data-Services/m-p/5...

But he's heading home on Wednesday anyway. Would be good of course for him to get it sorted out for future foreign trips.