Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No way to cancel and no refund offered.

LostCustomer
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I moved to the UK 4.5 years ago from Dublin. I needed broadband and opted to get a broadband dongle from O2. I  did not need a mobile phone from O2. I still maintained my Irish mobile (Vodafone) and I had been given a work mobile from my new employer. So I got my dongle and a data plan. 15 months later, I left that job and returned the mobile phone they gave me. About a year later, I moved house and got broadband in the house as part of a Sky package deal. I no longer needed the dongle. I went on to the O2 website looking for a contact number to call to cancel - it could not be found. I was misguided to all sorts of other FAQs etc but never giving me a number to call or other instructions as to how I may cancel. I was encouraged many times to log in to myO2 account to manage my account. When I tried to do this with my email and password, it told me it sent a verification (2FA) code by SMS to my mobile. However, the mobile number associated with my account was the number associated with my work phone from an employer I left over a year earlier. I had no access to this phone/number any more. So I could not login. I should point out that it wasn't my oversight/foolishness that led me to choose to use my work phone rather than my personal phone to be associated with my O2 account - it was instead a system failure on O2s part in that it would not allow me to associate my Irish mobile phone number to the account - so I could only use my work phone's number. So, I'm now in a position where O2 is debiting over £60 per month from my account for a service I no longer need now want. But they clearly, purposefully obfuscate and hide all access to cancellation / retention team contact numbers from their website. So, I finally drove across london to a location where I knew there was a large O2 shop where I would cancel my account in person to an O2 employee. When I tried, I was abruptly told that they could not affect cancellations in the shop - that they were "only there to sell stuff" and that I'd need to call the retentions team. I asked them for the number. They said they didn't know what it was but that I just needed to call 020 from my mobile. I then pointed out that I don't have an O2 mobile phone from which I can call 020. They then said, oh well, I don't know then, but all the information will be available on the website. It simply isn't. These efforts all took place over the course of a few months. When I'd think of it, I'd spend (waste) an hour trawling through a labyrinth of FAQs and misdirection looking for a suitable contact number. So I FINALLY gave up. I'd been paying for a broadband dongle that hadn't been using for probably a year at this stage and was now about to move country back to Ireland. The only thing I had left to do was to cancel the direct debit. I resisted this before then knowing that by doing so without formally cancelling my contract, it likely would have a negative impact on my credit score. But I was left with no other options. So, I did it. I cancelled my direct debit. Well guess what ... I wasn't long getting an email notifying me that they learned that I cancelled my direct debit and what do you know ... they even included a phone number that I could contact them on. So I called the number, went through security, explained the situation. They ackowledged the situation ... essentially that their system assume that you can call 020 to get in contact, not considering that someone might only have a broadband dongle and no O2 mobile phone. They acknowledged that they they did not faciliated my changing my contact phone number to my irish mobile number. They even tried to do it while I was on the phone to them. They couldn't do it. So I told them that I'd cancelled my DD. That that is how I got the number to call them on. That I was calling them to explain why I cancelled my DD. That I had wanted to end my contract for about a year by that point and that I not only wanted to confirm my formal cancellation to them but that I felt I should be credited for previous direct debits they took from my bank account. Importantly, they confirmed that they could see that I had not used the dongle even once in that period. I was put on hold, again. I'm now speaking to the third person since the start of my call. He came back on the line to offer to credit the final bill - i.e. that the current and next bill would be credited such that I wouldn't have to pay them and my account would be closed then. I said okay but what about the many months of direct debits you've been taking since I wanted to cancel but could not contact you? What about all of that time where you've confirmed I haven't been using the dongle. Over £700 pounds taken for zero service given. He said he couldn't (wouldn't) credit that back and that if I wanted to raise a complaint to seek refund of same, his offer to credit the current and final bill would not be honored. The audacity of them!!! Such bullying tactics. So, in protest, I'll make it a mini personal mission to hurt them far more than the value of my grievance. Since I have procurement influence over quite a lot of companies because I work as institutional investor where we have board seats on the boards of lots of companies and I personally advise/direct these companies on IT matters. The combines into very substantial corporate spend on telecommunications. I'll also be copying and pasting this horrendous review for the next hour or so while I'm waiting for a flight on every review site I can find in that time.  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148656 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28437 Solutions

TL:DR

However, at the bottom of every web page 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 125549 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@LostCustomer 

Also, this may have helped you Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

LostCustomer
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No. That only helps if you’re cancelling a phone contract. No help where you are cancelling a broadband dongle contract. 

Message 4 of 9

LostCustomer
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No. This is no help actually. But thanks for the passive aggressive response. 

I obviously used that link and explored every possible dead end it could offer. all help / contact us information leads to guides on cancelling a phone contract. I was not cancelling a phone contract - I was cancelling a broadband dongle contract. Any numbers it does give to to call to manage your account either assume you are calling from an O2 mobile belonging to the account or at least a mobile whose number is the registered contact number for the account. Last but not least, when you finally find a generic customer services number on a chat forum or some other 3rd party place that other disgruntled customers shared, the automated system, having already asked you to enter your account number, then requires you to 2FA using an SMS received on the registered contact phone - which in my case I didn’t have. 

Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 125549 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7546 Solutions

@LostCustomer wrote:

No. That only helps if you’re cancelling a phone contract. No help where you are cancelling a broadband dongle contract. 

It's for use on any contract. Sim only, Phone, Dongle etc.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 8848 Posts
  • 198 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

Welcome to this O2 customer to customer community @LostCustomer. Please note that as this is a customer to customer community, we cannot access your account or offer other direct help. You need to contact O2.

I suggest that you message O2 on social media :-

Facebook : https://o2uk.co/O2CFB

X (previously known as Twitter) : https://o2uk.co/O2CTW

Instagram : https://o2uk.co/O2CIG

The social media team are based in the UK and have a good reputation for solving problems. 

Please keep us updated on developments. 👍

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 148656 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28437 Solutions

Anyone with any sense would call the non customer line in that case.

Joining O2

O2 Consumer mobile phone sales Number Charges

From any phone0800 081 0255Free

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 8 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11245 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

You cant cancel a contract via Social Media, so more BS advice

@LostCustomer 

You just enter the mobile number that was assigned to your contract, this can be found on any bills in Your email, they also has an account number on them... and then call Customer Services you dont need to have the phone as the agent can go through different ways to confirm who you are...  so you just say no when it asks can you get the OTP ... 

You can always try going through the sales team and say you are a new customer and then ask for them to transfer you to customer services on 0800 081 0255

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 9 of 9