cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madness

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been looking out for a new contract now that my current one has expired. I'm not upgrading my iPhone 5 as the 6 is too big for my pockets, so I've been looking at Sim only deals

It seems very silly I can get cheaper from Carphone Warehouse/02, than i can with staying directly with O2, with the same data / minutes / texts for each of the 2 contracts

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Speak to retentions department by calling 202 and choose the option regarding thinking of leaving.
They are the only ones who can match or offer a credit for loyalty

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

You have to go with what suits you best. I went with a sim only deal directly with O2 in January. They had an offer on and I got unlimited calls and texts and 3G of data (which was more than I need personally) At that time no-one else could match that offer...so I went with that..:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Speak to retentions department by calling 202 and choose the option regarding thinking of leaving.
They are the only ones who can match or offer a credit for loyalty
Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I got a £150 account credit when I switched by speaking to retentions.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I got a £150 account credit when I switched by speaking to retentions.

Only you could manage that...Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's because CPW subsidies the handsets & includes hidden costs such as insurance so that's how they make it cheaper
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

They rang me to say they could discount my monthly costs by £3.00 but it still didn't match CPW.

I'm only going Sim only so I can't see why CPW can be cheaper due to subsidising handsets. 

Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It's because CPW subsidies the handsets & includes hidden costs such as insurance so that's how they make it cheaper

I got my Galaxy Note 4 through Carphone Warehouse and there are no hidden costs.

You can choose to take out insurance but it isn't automatically applied.

Fantastic service from them all round

Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
It's a crazy situation but CPW will get paid by O2 for each connection they put on the network. They also have targets to meet each month and if they hit them they will get a bonus.
The discounts they offer on contracts and PAYG handsets are carefully balanced to ensure the maximum profit and gains from commission and bonuses.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 11

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm only going Sim only so I can't see why CPW can be cheaper due to subsidising handsets. 

This is often the case when not dealing with the main company and is normal, firms like CPW couldn't exist without the subsidies as there would be no advantage in price.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 11