Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-SIM Catch 22 situation

WhizzKid
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Imagine a situation where you are porting in a number. 

You have ordered an E-SIM

The number gets ported

The QR code you need to activate the E-SIM is on your online account. But to get in on the web or the app it wants to send a verification text to a number you cannot access because the E-SIM isn't installed.

O2 will not send the QR code via the registered account email.

Surely it isn't just me. This is absolute madness and no one at customer services after 3 calls seems to have a solution other than opting for a plastic SIM which means a hundred-mile round trip to my parents to install it.

You have been warned!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11254 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

@WhizzKid 

This is not unique to o2, and seriously if you dont need an esim then dont get on, they are not ideal for upgrades or to be honest anything but secondary sims on devices..  Wipe your phone, new esim, upgrade new esim... 

And email is not secure, and companies really shouldnt be sending OTP's via it, so glad o2 saw common sense, they should be pushing us to use Auth Apps or Yubi keys (Yubi Keys at the customers expense) 

Your best option is to pop into an o2 store, with photo ID and get a new plastic sim card.. or an esim pack if you still want that pain... 

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 2 of 5

WhizzKid
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you. And there I was thinking it was the simple solution to not having to do a lot of driving.

Sigh.

Back to plastic it is.

Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11254 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

I am a fan of esims, but not as the primary sim card, as causes too much hassle (we dont issue them yet on the enterprise side to our users, as so much pain) ..

Hope there is an o2 store close by, or get o2 to post one out to you.

Good Luck

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148666 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28437 Solutions

As we've been telling O2 since they bought in the "new improved" system 🙄

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 5