cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long term customer at the end of his tether

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been with O2 since they were BTCellnet and have been very happy up until a couple of years ago.

O2 insurance has gone right downhill. My latest experience was that they didn't have my model in stock and so offered me 3 replacement handsets, but the 3 they offered me were 2 years old and 5" devices whereas mine is a 6.4" phablet. Because I wasn't happy with the replacements offered, I was told I had to wait for mine to come in stock which took over 3 weeks. Not so long ago, I always had a replacement phone within 24 hours, and if mine wasn't in stock, they offered models that were currently being sold on the website.

Then I have the issues of calls not reaching my phone, people trying to contact me saying they're getting the message "this phone is not in service".

Data speeds, unless on 4g are way slower than other networks, even when I have an H+ connection, just loading google can take forever.

The data allowances are far too restrictive and too expensive, so streaming is pretty much out of the question. What use is 4g if you can't stream music and video. 

Customer services, who used to be the best amongst any I'd used, are now mainly the usual script readers who don't have any idea on how to actually help you.

My latest android handset came with a locked bootloader so I wasn't able to load custom roms. This I see as criminal as I am buying the device and it's perfectly legal for me to run whatever software I like, I don't see why O2 should dictate to me what software to run. The O2 branded android ROM is buggy and crashes frequently, so I've had to settle with running an unbranded stock rom.

And finally, now that I'm moving network, O2 are refusing to offer me an unlock code for my device. The plan is paid off in full, but they keep claiming that it isn't an o2 device. I've tried the webform, customer services, and raising it to managers, but no-one can do anything about it. It's locked to the o2 network and was bought directly from them, so obviously they have the ability to unlock it, they're just being unhelpful or just aren't trained enough.

I'm fed up, and off. They used to be one of the best networks around, the last couple of years unfortunately, they've just given up on being humane. I only hope the buyout by Hutchinson will turn them around.

My condolences to all of you under their wing, and I hope you make it out alive.

Comiserations

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a huge thankyou to @Anonymous , he helped me out with a direct number for some people in O2 who knew what they were doing.

I called, explained the situation. He told me that there were 2 possible problems

1/. that because the phone was not supplied by O2 themselves (it was a reconditioned unit from O2 insure), that O2 would not have the unlocking key

2/. that they run security checks and aren't able to see the original purchase order number as it was supplied by O2 insure, and therefor will not give out the key.

He told me he would check both possibilities and get back to me within an hour.

I waited with bated breath, not really expecting too much.

After 35 minutes, the same guy called back and explained that as the model was provided by O2 insure and not bought direct from O2, they did not have the unlatching code. He said he then chased O2 insure for the unlatch code, but for some reason they didn't have it.

He told me straightforwardly that my only option is to get a mobile phone repair shop or web site to provide an unlock code or use a software reset of the device which erases the network lock.

He also said without hesitation that once I had done this, to call him (Anthony) back directly and provide proof of payment, and that they would reimburse me.

All done swiftly, painlessly, explained perfectly well, and gave me a reason for the issue and a viable solution, which is all I wanted.

Thanks @Anonymous and Anthony high up in the chain, and of course, everyone else that contributed to this thread slight_smile

Message 21 of 39

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

To be honest, whilst I'm happy that you have a solution of kind, I'm shockd that O2 cannot supply you with an unlock code.

O2 don't have lock codes. In all instances, O2 request the unlock code from the handset manufacturer apart fro Apple who unlock the phone on the system. This unlock code is then given to the customer via email.

To say they cannot supply the unlock code seems very strange and to recommend you get the phone unlocked by other spurious means, well, quite frankly it's something I have never heard of before.

Good luck and I hope all goes well with the unlocking and thanks for the update slight_smile

Message 22 of 39

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry to read that you've had a difficult time with this. Let us know how you get on and if I can help in any way should anything go wrong.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 23 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still a bit perplexed, if it's locked to the O2 network, then surely O2 have the unlock code, right?

Apparently, the way it happens is that they buy the units direct from the manufacturer, and AT THE TIME OF BUYING, they are given an unlatch code which gets input into their database of codes.

As this unit was supplied by O2 insure and no one has any idea where they source their units, O2 themselves do not have an unlatch code.

The problem lies with O2 insure, who I had big problems with from the very start of my claim and have had to refer to an ombudsman to see if I'm due any recourse. I'm fairly certain that as I gave O2 insure a difficult time as they totally broke their contract with me and offered me aweful service, that they just don't want to give out the code. Maybe that's me being difficult after a very diffcult period with all this, but I don't see how they can source a phone from outside O2, then lock it to the O2 network, and then lose the unlock code within the 2 months it takes me to request an unlatch code. It's either that or they really are as incompitent as they came accross in my dealings with them.

My worry is that I'll have to get it unlocked by resetting the phone to factory condition, something that only a handful of places offer and I wouldn't have a clue where they are.

I now feel sorry for the O2 CS as I've not let this lie for 6 weeks. I just wish they'd given me O2 insure's number so I could speak with them directly.

Message 24 of 39

MI5
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
O2 can request the code directly from the phones manufacturer - you are still being fobbed off unfortunately.
Also you can't unlock simply by resetting a phone to factory condition, you need to overwrite the EFS folder with the correct code which the reset process doesn't actually touch.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 25 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I think the key to this problem seems to be the fact that the phone was bought from O2 Insure (I hadn't heard of these before). So someone surely needs to investigate where they get their phones from and why this unlocking is such a problem. Surely if it has  happened to one customer, it could happen again?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 39

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

As I say, I have never heard of O2 telling you to get the phone unlocked and they will pay. Beggars belief tbh.

Message 27 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

As I say, I have never heard of O2 telling you to get the phone unlocked and they will pay. Beggars belief tbh.

True....very suspicious really.........

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my code through just now from cellunlocker.net and it worked first time, thank the lord.

It cost 29.99 USD which I will pass on to O2.

Phone fully works for both data and voice calls on the Three network, so I'm relieved.

My advice to anyone, switch from O2 Insure, they are an absolute con.

Message 29 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Very pleased the phone is unlocked @Anonymous ...but as you say and absolute con that you had to pay for this. I won't be recommending O2 Insure to anyone at all slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 39