cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm paying £110 a month as a student, I literally cannot afford to do this anymore.

anon2024
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Last September my phone was stolen and I didn't have insurance. Since then I have been paying for both the phone and the SIM, as well as my new phone and SIM. I didn't have the option of purchasing a cheaper phone according to the woman in the shop. This month I have had to pay £110.

I have been to O2 to ask if there is any way of reducing the airtime on my stolen phone. Every time I try to pay, it asks to send a code to the phone number I no longer have access to!! This month my bill is £20 higher than it was last month for the stolen phone, and my email is no longer even recognised. I assume it is being used fraudulently. 

I physically cannot afford to pay the amount I'm paying right now. I understand it was my fault for not having insurance but paying £50 a month for a phone that was taken from me is just cruel.

I am a medical student who already has to cover the cost of my accommodation and living. I am trying to do something to better other peoples lives but it is next to impossible when the little money I have to spend every month is split between 2 phones. I have cried so many times over this. I literally don't know what to do. No one can help me. 

Please help me! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149732 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28523 Solutions

@anon2024 

You could have just got a new sim on your contract for free and used any other phone to get you by.

Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

All you can do now is pay off what you owe and cancel the airtime portion.

Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 4

anon2024
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

omg why did they not tell me that!! 😞 thanks

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149732 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28523 Solutions

@anon2024 

I can only assume the sales person received a commission for selling you a new contract.

Make sure you either cancel your old sim or transfer your number to the new contract as the old sim may still be in use and costing you money.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 4