Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get refund after leaving PAYG

buran
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I won't be leaving just yet, but I am a study abroad student leaving next month to go home. After I pay my tariff one last time next month I won't be using O2 anymore.

The website states I can get a refund on my balance if I leave. Should I be doing that after I pay my last tariff? Do I need to wait until the next billing period (in June) to do so? I will be home in the USA at that point and likely will have discarded the sim card.

If I can get a refund, will O2 accept non-UK banking information, or something like PayPal or Venmo?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148718 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@buran 

That is only if you are switching to an O2 contract.

Otherwise, my statement above is correct.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 148718 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@buran 

There are no refunds on PAYG.

If on contract, you will need to cancel your account Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

Any refunds due will be returned to the bank account you are currently paying from.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 9

buran
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi MI5, thanks for your quick response.

I do not believe this is correct. The 'Leaving O2' page has a section about getting PAYG refunds on your credit: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/leaving-o2

Should I call them on my US phone? Or how would this work?

Screenshot 2023-04-20 173315.png

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 148718 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@buran 

That is only if you are switching to an O2 contract.

Otherwise, my statement above is correct.

Message 4 of 9

buran
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Are you sure? I can't find where it states this, but perhaps I just missed it.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 148718 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@buran 

There are only provisions for refunds when switching to an O2 monthly contract or in certain circumstances, when switching to another provider. 

I'm 100% sure that you cannot just get any unused credit returned to any bank account at all.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/on-pay-and-go-our-service-terms-are-worth-a-read#:~:t....

Message 6 of 9

buran
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok! I'll trust you on this one, it makes sense and is disappointing but oh well.

Message 7 of 9

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23904 Posts
  • 1042 Topics
  • 3769 Solutions

@buran Use up as much of your balance as you can and then either get someone to buy what's left from you, or give the sim to a friend to use the rest. No point in letting it go to waste and essentially put that money back into O2's pocket.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 148718 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

Sorry it's not what you wanted to hear @buran 

Message 9 of 9