Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Handset unfit for purpose?

Having being a customer for over 3 years with 2 contracts I am now leaving you ASAP. In an 18 month contract but no handset due to Apple confirming manufacturing fault with handset and out of their 12 month warranty. Appreciate my contract is for airtime but as the handset comes with it I would assume the Sales of Goods Act would mean the associated hardware must be fit for use for the contract duration? To be told "you should have thought about that" when getting a contract and "if you'd been clever you could have lied and said you'd dropped it" is absolutely appalling. Is this usual practice?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Handset unfit for purpose?

How can you be out of the 12 month warranty? The only phone Apple have stated there might be problems with the ariel is the IP4 which hasn't been out a year. There has never been a problem with the other models.
Highlighted
Anonymous

It's the 3GS - Apple advised O2 should replace but it seems I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Apple normally offer to exchange, did they give a reason why they won't. It's unusual for them to send a customer back to the network.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Only that it was out of their 12 month warranty. O2 offered to repair at a cost of £139...it's a pity I "wasn't clever" enough to lie and say I'd dropped it as would have had a working handset by now.
Highlighted
Topics: 294
Kudos: 1,847
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,310

so you have insurance check the t&c as it is nolonger covered by manufactures warranty it may now be eligable for genuine insurance claim .
Who is your insurer
iPhone xs 256gb on 20gb tariff o2 open discount
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

O2 Insure advised I should have said I had dropped it and then they would replace however as I gave them the honest answer as per Apple I'm not covered. Thanks for your suggestion though
Highlighted
Anonymous

Nokia & Sony Ericsson give 2 year handset warranties, why cant a company the aize of Apple do the same :womanindifferent:
Highlighted
Anonymous

O2 insure also covers you for "out of warranty" claims. I suggest you call again. It does NOT have to be accidental damage.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks - the policy wording is lost, stolen or accidental/malicious damage only.