Did you mean: 

Failed credit check

K136
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Really hoping for some help/advice! 🤞

On Thursday I tried to take a new contract out with o2, through Mobile Phones Direct. After a few hours I received a notification from MPD to say I'd failed their security check so the order had been cancelled. No idea why - they can't give anymore details than that.

Luckily the same deal was on another website - Affordable Mobiles - so I reordered with them. A few hours later the same thing happened - order declined. But this time it said it was because of a failed credit check with o2. 

I spoke to the credit team at o2 who were super helpful. They informed me that as far as they were concerned the first order - with MPD - had been approved, and sent back to them to process. Its MDP who have declined it. 

Which is why when I placed a new order, on the same day, with Affordable Mobiles, it was declined by o2 because it looked suspicious. Me trying to take out two the same day, for the same thing, when the first had already been approved, doesn't look good apparently!

So, my question is, what do I do now? Obviously ordering with MPD is completely out. But do I risk trying with Affordable Mobiles again? Their "hard search" is definitely showing on my credit score through Equifax. I don't want to keep trying and making things worse, but I desperately need out of my terrible contract with Vodafone!

Hoping someone has some words of wisdom! 

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@K136 

The only advice I can offer is that you wait at least 30 days before applying again as O2 will decline you again otherwise.

I'd talk again to MPD as they have approval from O2 to continue with your contract.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@K136 

The only advice I can offer is that you wait at least 30 days before applying again as O2 will decline you again otherwise.

I'd talk again to MPD as they have approval from O2 to continue with your contract.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@K136 

The problem will be that MPD, will sometimes do a secondary check, to protect there commission and prevent clawbacks. 

So you may pass the o2 credit check but fail MPD's checks,  Carphone Warehouse, used to do somat similar back in the olden days....but did their checks first then put it through to the networks if you passed. 

I would definitely speak to MPD, and if need be complain to AO.com as they own MPD.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 5

K136
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Will I just be auto declined if I try again within the 30 days?

I've gone back to MDP several times now and they can't tell me anything "due to security" apparently. Seeks utterly ridiculous. 

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@K136 wrote:

Will I just be auto declined if I try again within the 30 days? 

Unfortunately yes @K136 

That's how the O2 system is setup.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5