cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edge network

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any way that O2 can disable my phone from using Edge if I request it for my mobile number. The signal in so bad where I work and typically switches between Edge and GPRS. Edge is about effective as using data with the phone in Airplane Mode! Even GPRS in more effective and at least allows me to send a message or email.
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
No your phone will search out the strongest signal available.

You can on some phones turn off 3G to force the phone to latch to 2g

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 2 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Even if you turn off 3G you will still get edge if the phone sees it as a stronger signal. Edge is part of the GSM spectrum. As daft as it sounds you need to try and seek a spot with a lower signal so your phone will only connect to GPRS.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Spartanets and welcome to the forum.

If you turn off 3G it will save battery as the phone will not try to search out connection it cannot latch to which is why I mentioned this in my first reply.
Message 4 of 13

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Though switching to 2G only may disable data altogether depending on the phone, as with O2's implementation on the BB Z10.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for your replies. It's just a pain as like many others, I spend 8 hours a day at work with next to no reception. Dare I say I get a 4G connection on my company-issued phone on another network. Is there any way of knowing when the network is due to be upgraded in my area?
Message 6 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
O2 aren't announcing when the upgrades are coming unfortunately - We've asked but nothing forthcoming 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
The official line is http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/network-coverage/the-next-big-thing and that's all we are told.

Occasionally a member of the Social Media Team leave a post advising of new areas receiving 4G.
Message 8 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you all for your replies. It's just a pain as like many others, I spend 8 hours a day at work with next to no reception. Dare I say I get a 4G connection on my company-issued phone on another network. Is there any way of knowing when the network is due to be upgraded in my area?

Is it the call quality you're concerned about or your data connection, because 4G is only data at the moment, and nothing to do with calls. If what you need is a 4G data connection for your personal phone at work, maybe you should think about getting a Pay & Go sim on the network that gets a good 4G connection and just use that at work?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 13

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I have the same problem with EDGE, certain areas won't connect to the Internet despite the phone showing full EDGE signal! Shame I can't jump straight from 2g to 3g/4g. Seems worse on my iPhone 5 than Android devices too.
Message 10 of 13