cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edge network

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any way that O2 can disable my phone from using Edge if I request it for my mobile number. The signal in so bad where I work and typically switches between Edge and GPRS. Edge is about effective as using data with the phone in Airplane Mode! Even GPRS in more effective and at least allows me to send a message or email.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
As mentioned above. EDGE is a slightly enhanced version of 2g or gprs and will only give limited if any usable Internet access.
Message 11 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Edge is actually known as 2.75g.
GPRS is 2.5g so although it is an enhancement of GPRS it's not significant and not designed for today's demanding data requirements.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 13

Jeevster
Level 4: Observant
  • 175 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

GPRS / Edge is not a great experience on smartphones in general, as a network is pretty good as long as the devices are built to use it, Blackberry (prior to the BB10 Devices) worked well as they compress the data, however smartphones dont, so browsing the internet means trying to retrieve web pages in all their technicolour glory - which 2G dosent do very well 😞

Message 13 of 13