cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Due an upgrade but better iPhone 5 contracts on O2 available elsewhere. Why?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm now due an upgrade and I'm keen to go for the iPhone 5 but even though I've been a customer for years there really doesnt seem to be any benefit for staying loyal.

iPhone 5 handset costs £99 on the £36 a month contract but the same contract on O2 at somehwere like mobiles.co.uk the handset is free.

They also have better options, could even go down to £31 a month and only pay £49.99 for the handset. Am I better off cancelling current O2 contract to take up another O2 contract via a store that offers better rates? Does anyone have experience of this?

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I would not be buying an iphone5 on o2 at the moment due to the lack of 4g support for band20.

Yes o2 have thier 4g price promise but it will cost a lot to get out of contract for 4g in the summer. http://www.o2.co.uk/4g/phone-promise

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just looked on carphone warehouse web site and you can get an iphone 5 on an O2 contract with free phone where as O2 site chares £209 on an upgrade Why???????????

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Other places such as that site can offer you a free handset because they make their Money back by tapping on insurance & other incentives, O2 don't do this, if you want to get an iPhone 5 but keep your current contract, you could sell your phone & use the money towards getting an iPhone 5 & just transfer your number to a nano sim

Message 3 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I would not be buying an iphone5 on o2 at the moment due to the lack of 4g support for band20.

Yes o2 have thier 4g price promise but it will cost a lot to get out of contract for 4g in the summer. http://www.o2.co.uk/4g/phone-promise

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 16

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Don't you think the summer might be a bit optimist for all areas to be covered Adam?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the clarification on the price promise, defimnitley dont want to go down that route but how big a deal is 4g anyway right now? People at work on EE say they are not using the 4g network much and 3g and browsing on iPhone has been improved.

Plus now I have BT broadband I'm pretty covered even when not at home. Just looking for a fair price and contract which I dont think o2 are offering right now.

Message 6 of 16

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You could go onto a sim only Simplicity deal for a lot less and wait to see out the networks improve.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity/#page=1

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146997 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions
Upgrade where ever you can get the cheapest deal. You will still be on O2 network (if that's what you want) regardless of where your contract comes from....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you want to buy the phone from O2, you'll pay what O2 ask for.

If you want to buy it from CPW with their poor after-sales service, then buy it from them.

If you want to buy it on the web and have nowhere to turn to when something goes wrong with it, then buy it on the web.

Its completely your choice.
Message 9 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146997 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions
^^^ Pablo in O2 mode slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 10 of 16