cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Due an upgrade but better iPhone 5 contracts on O2 available elsewhere. Why?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm now due an upgrade and I'm keen to go for the iPhone 5 but even though I've been a customer for years there really doesnt seem to be any benefit for staying loyal.

iPhone 5 handset costs £99 on the £36 a month contract but the same contract on O2 at somehwere like mobiles.co.uk the handset is free.

They also have better options, could even go down to £31 a month and only pay £49.99 for the handset. Am I better off cancelling current O2 contract to take up another O2 contract via a store that offers better rates? Does anyone have experience of this?

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 11 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

Don't you think the summer might be a bit optimist for all areas to be covered Adam?

Not full coverage but I bet it will be in a few areas due to the network upgrades that have been going for 2 years already out of the 3 .

But O2 have already said 2015 98% indoor as opposed to target 2017 and O2 bought the coverage obligation lot I.E. have to provide it unlike all the others.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

All fair points and opinions.

But with their large iPhone user-base from their previous exclusive rights period I'm surprised o2 are not doing more to retain their iPhone customers. The price promoise is not attractive.

Message 13 of 16

MI5
  • 144333 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The point is that they are retaining their customers. You still pay O2 for the contract and they make money on your calls etc.... They actually save money by not having to subsidise a phone to go with the airtime package...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've no real loyalty or desire to stay with o2 now though, my original post inquired why such big difference on contracts of the same provider, which has been answered. Having looked today there are much better deals, particularly that include unlimited data from the likes of three.co.uk. I dont wish to purchase from carphone warehouse or mobiles.co.uk either but a lot of iPhone users do seem to be leaving o2 for other providers over these issues.

Message 15 of 16

MI5
  • 144333 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I'd agree with the caveat to check your signal with other providers first. It's no good having unlimited calls if you can't get a signal to use them..... If you can get a good signal and a cheaper phone/contract then go for it, why wouldn't you?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 16