cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation fee charged wrongly?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I called O2 CS just now because I was thinking of leaving O2 to go to PAYG on Giffgaff. Prior to that, I always thought that if I tell them I'm leaving O2, they would automatically give me the PAC code afterwards.

So I get through to O2 CS and the lady asked if I'd like to disconnect from O2 and I said yes. She then did all of the procedures and told me I will get a final bill around such and such date. Then she wanted to hang up but I said hang on a minute, can I have my PAC code? Then she said "Oh you want your PAC code? You don't want to disconnect?"

I was taken aback. I said "Yeah I want to port my number over. I'm sorry I wasn't aware there was a difference in procedure between disconnecting and getting a PAC code?"

She then said "It's okay. Hold on a minute. I'll get you reconnected again. Oh. It's still showing as disconnected. ... (paused) Okay. Do you want to write down your PAC code now?"

I said okay and took it down. Then she explained that since she'd already started the disconnection procedure and cannot reverse it, I'd now get charged a termination fee, which "wouldn't be a lot". I asked how much exactly. She then came back to me with £8 something.

I have to add that she said my contract terminates on the 1st August. Although on my O2 account details online, it says my contract started on 4th August 2011? So I'm confused now. I'd assume if it started on 4th August 2011, it'd end on the 4th August 2013?

She said to me that since the disconnection procedure had already been started, my phone number will not be usable again if I don't port my number over before August the 1st.

Anyway, what'd you think about what transpired? It just sounds weird to me that I'd still be charged a termination fee of around £8 for what seemed like a misunderstanding - I didn't know that asking for a PAC code to leave O2 for another network using the same number is not the same as "disconnection" from O2??

I know its a really small amount, £8. But it bothers me. I don't feel I should be charged that because it was a misunderstanding. Or can anyone explain to me it was my fault for not being aware they were different procedures in the first place, and once she started the Disconnection procedure, it cannot be reversed ever, so I have to be liable for the termination fee regardless?
Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nevermind. I just chatted with O2 on their online web chat and the guy there answered my question perfectly. Seems like I totally misunderstood the woman on the phone. I wasn't actually charged any more than what I was due.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nevermind. I just chatted with O2 on their online web chat and the guy there answered my question perfectly. Seems like I totally misunderstood the woman on the phone. I wasn't actually charged any more than what I was due.
Message 2 of 2