Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking callers

JohnS02
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a Galaxy S3 mini and I have been unable to block a presistant nuisance caller 0141 3708722 (Glasgow)

both on my mobile and land line. how do I add to a blocking list. Thanks in advance.

John

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Android phones are firmware dependent.
Open your call list and long press on the number you want to block. If option is available you will get a pop up message with the option to block the number.
If not, you can download and app off Play Store. Something like TrueCaller would work but there are others to choose from.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Android phones are firmware dependent.
Open your call list and long press on the number you want to block. If option is available you will get a pop up message with the option to block the number.
If not, you can download and app off Play Store. Something like TrueCaller would work but there are others to choose from.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@JohnS02 I use an app called Mr Number. Works really well for me.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 15

JohnS02
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Bambino Thank you for your very quick reply. I wonder why I have to use a 3rd party app to do something that 02 should already have an in house process (in place) to block these numbers. The problem I find is that a lot of nusince calls don't show a number and or are unknown/withheld from view.

Best and Kindest Regards:

JohnS02

Message 4 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@JohnS02 I don't think the ability to block numbers is within the control of any network. Some numbers, like hospitals and doctor's surgeries withold their numbers, so it would be impossible to block them. You don't actually need a third party app. You can usually do it within your phone's built in call list. I just find the Mr Number app easy to use. Getting nuisance calls is something we all have to deal with. Part of modern life, I guess.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 15

JohnS02
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you MI5. When I do a long press on the number in question it comes up with caller is no lone on? However, looking at my blocked listing it tells me the number is blooked so very confusing at this time and will have to monitor if the call comes back. Its a nusiance caller and has been calling 2-3 per day and just hangs up? number is 0141 3708722 (Glasgow) I don't have a clue Why but its been over a 2 week period now.

Thank JohnS02

Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The phone shouldn’t allow the call through if it’s showing as blocked.
Just watch for them changing the last digit though to sneak through the call.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 15

jezza1234
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

This is a widly reported nuiscnace number. Its a comany trying to get you to have a SmartMeter installed.

Many people have tried to block it but it still seems to come through.

Is your number registered with the telephone preference service. This helps to reduce the number of unwanted calls. you can also register your landline number with them.

If they call again DO NOT answer it and DO NOT send it to voicemail. They will use an autodialler and random number generator. If you answer then their system will then know its an active number. If you dont answer it their system thinks its an invalid number and moves on.

So.. if you get a call form a number you do not recognise dont answer it. If its important they will leave a message. if they do dont its a nuiscance call.

Moving forward there is a way to stop so many nuiscnce calls and its very simple.

When you are asked to give your phone number when buying something online, or registering for something on line, fillling out a form on line etc etc do not give it to them. there is normally an * which means you have to give them your number, you dont. All the form is looking for is a digit string of a particular length. So all you do is enter your dialling code plus 6 zeros. it will go through everytime without fail. 

As we all know compainies sell information which is how nuiscance callers get your number they buy it on a list. 

I have been doing this for about 3 years now since I was told about it by someone who owns a telemarketing company  and belive me it has worked. I probably get around a dozen calls a year if that now.

Remember your telephone number belongs to you why give it to somoene to sell to somebody else. Ask yourself would you give them the pin no to your bank card?.....

As for you current issue report the number to OFCOM and they will take the appropriate action.

Hope all this has been of some help

Message 8 of 15

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hey @JohnS02 Wave There's some good advice above, and I hope it'll help you get this sorted, but please keep us in the loop of your progress! smiling

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 15

JohnS02
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @jezza1234 thank you for your reply, I will take your advice onboard and look into that.

Regards:

JohnS 

Message 10 of 15