cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling 3G Coverage

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have recently renewed my o2 contract for a further 2 years (which I am now seriously regretting) and have noticed the 3G coverage is utterly appalling. To be honest it has always been poor but my patience is running thin. I also requested 1GB of data as part of my new contract - pointless.

Does anybody else have this problem?

In an age where the majority of mobile phone use is spent online a networks 3G coverage should be vital.

My friends that hold contracts with other networks, notably '3', do not have this issue. In fact most of them have 3G even in the most remote areas.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23216 Posts
  • 1029 Topics
  • 3693 Solutions

Signal strength should always be the main consideration. It isn't O2's fault that Virgin Mobile didn't have the phone you wanted. Did you check what the reception would be on O2 before you switched or were you so blinded by the thought of an iPhone that you jumped without looking?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 31 of 49

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@MarkTadley wrote:

In an age where O2 promise good service and great reception - its all a lie and once you are in a contract you are caught until the end.

It seems a little silly to criticise O2 when you have a very good reception from Vodafone or Virgin, I would have stayed with one of them! Astounded

The 3G is not good in that area, hopefully the network upgrades will inprove that, but to change network for the sake of a phone doesn't seem a good idea:

Live results for Tadley, Berks

• Our network is currently working fine
    If we're doing work on the phone masts near you we'll tell you about it here.
    Updated 14:00 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.

• Normal coverage for Voice, text and email (2G)
    Making calls, sending texts, using email on your phone.
    Good indoors and outdoors.

• Normal coverage for Mobile internet and voice (3G)
    Fast networking. For smartphones, dongles and tablets.
    OK outdoors. Patchy indoors. Not good for mobile broadband.

I don't remember O2 making any promises about full coverage for the UK though.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 32 of 49

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

Same for Tadley in Berkshire too Confused

Live results for Aldermaston, Berkshire

• Our network is currently working fine
    If we're doing work on the phone masts near you we'll tell you about it here.
    Updated 15:00 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.

• Normal coverage for Voice, text and email (2G)
    Making calls, sending texts, using email on your phone.
    Good indoors and outdoors.

• Normal coverage for Mobile internet and voice (3G)
    Fast networking. For smartphones, dongles and tablets.
    OK outdoors. Patchy indoors. Not good for mobile broadband.

• Normal coverage for Mobile Internet (4G)
    Seamless connectivity and mobile internet.
    Sorry, we do not have coverage here.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 33 of 49

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Too many Tadleys obviously! LOL

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 34 of 49

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
Tip, don't live in any Tadley if you're on O2 slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 35 of 49

MarkTadley
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 125 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Yep I moved cause I wanted an iP5 and yes, i shouldve checked coverage by different PAYG sims but I checked the same O2 site you have all got showing regarding coverage and signal strength.

It shows good for 2G coverage and 2 bars 'maybe' for 3G. Well, it certainly isn't good coverage for 2G at all.

As I have said, it's absolutely shocking. No service at all means no service to even make a call on 2G which is the opersite to what those indicators are saying on the O2 site regarding coverage.

Tu Go = v2.5.0.431 permanently Turned OFF
128gb iPhone 6+ Slate Grey on O2 Network
No signal or 1bar 2G reception in rural location with O2
Message 36 of 49

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

They are really a guide only as many geographical factors can have an influence on signal.... Maybe even your AWP could be having an effect, but I'm sure you know this already......

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 37 of 49

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
you have tried turning 3g off in settings> mobile ?
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 38 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
I too regret renewing with O2. There maps would have you think they have coverage almost everywhere. Blatant lies. That they know they can get away with. Just upped to 4G in the hope of getting a better signal. I commute into London where you would imagine there would be good coverage. Not a chance. Been with O2 for years and for the life of me don't know why. Easier not to change I suppose, which again they rely on. Poor O2. Very poor. Have been through the monotonous help process with the script reading professional. They blame the phone, the weather, the government, anyone but their poor network. Changing next time for sure. Crap.
Message 39 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

Network coverage is a funny old beast. My findings from Nottingham.

I was with EE previously and I always had 4 odd bars and it seemed decent enough.

4G was pretty snappy too around the city, except for at work which is where I wanted it to be decent. 

I would also get regular drop outs and black spots.

Since i've been on O2, although I appear to have less bars I find the service more consistent and with less drop outs in this area.

4G isn't great in the areas I frequent, 1 or 2 bars, but it is still pretty rapid. 

Vodafone I found to be the worst of the bunch which surprised me.

There really is no way to know until you grab a sim and try it.

EE did have an advantage while they had all of the T-Mobile and Orange masts still in operation, but they have been shutting them down now so it has started to even off. 

Message 40 of 49