cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do O2 credit check for an upgrade to refresh.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
I am wanting to upgrade soon and am currently on the old o2 contract, not refresh. I am wondering if o2 will do a credit check for an upgrade to a refresh contract.
My credit score isnt good due to past circumstances but i have never missed a payment on my o2 bill.
Just worried i will get declined for an upgrade.
Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27626 Solutions
For a straight upgrade it is unlikely that you will get credit checked. Normally it's only for new contracts.
They will look at your past history with O2 but if it is as you say I wouldn't expect any problems.
The proof, of course though, will be in the pudding as it were and only O2 can confirm for sure.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27626 Solutions
For a straight upgrade it is unlikely that you will get credit checked. Normally it's only for new contracts.
They will look at your past history with O2 but if it is as you say I wouldn't expect any problems.
The proof, of course though, will be in the pudding as it were and only O2 can confirm for sure.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 18

jonsie
  • 93182 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

They don't normally credit check on upgrades but to be honest, on a refresh contract with a seperate hire purchase for the handset I'm not altogether too sure.

Message 3 of 18

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27626 Solutions
Good point about the HP for the phone jonsie.
Prob best to call 202 and ask CS the question....?
Let us know if you get a straight answer from them please......

Currently using:
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the Forum. 

My colleague recently upgraded from an older style O2 two year contract to a Refresh Tariff Option ,and was not credit checked. 

So if your account has been kept up to date with no 'blips' in payments I would say you'll be ok. 

Have you you tried to upgrade via your Myo2 ?

Hope all goes ok. 

Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I enquired as to if I would be credit checked for a sim only deal as was looking for a mortgage change and didn't want to leave another 'footprint' on my account and was told yes. As above, I'd imagine the HP portion of the new contract might lead them to credit check, though always worth checking directly.
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi again. Thanks to everyone for your comments.
I have spoken to CS and they said there will be a credit check but they also take into account the fact that in have had an accountwith them for 6 years which is up to date with no missed payments.
She also suggested that i wait till my actual upgrade day as oppose to upgrading early. So i guess i wait till 15th december and see what happens.
Message 7 of 18

jonsie
  • 93182 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable