Did you mean: 

4G disabled?

michael80
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 15 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've lost 4G on my account.

It started yesterday when I noticed I had lost all mobile data on my phone. I could only make phone calls. Unexpectedly, O2 sent me a text from 2030 with the "settings I need to connect to the internet" I accepted, switched my phone off and on again, got mobile data back.... but can only get 3G.

I've spoken to O2 customer services, who passed me on to an O2 Guru who confirm it's not a network issue and that my phone (Samsung S4mini) is correctly set-up for 4G (both APN and Network mode settings are correct).

Having exhausted all possible options, the O2 Guru advised to do a SIM swap at the Shop.

So I went, and inserted a new O2 SIM in my phone - connected immediately to 4G. Initiated the SIM swap, which brings my number across to the new SIM - and as soon as it was completed, I lost 4G again, and can only connect to 3G.

I'm puzzled about this. Having gone though all options with customer service, Gurus and SIM swap, has anyone got any ideas?

The SIM swap experience makes me think that 4G has been disabled on my account/phone number. I could put another new O2 SIM and not do the SIM swap to get 4G again, but then I'd have to tell everyone of a new phone number 😕

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

michael80
  • 15 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for both responses. I've been at work, so haven't been in a position to respond sooner.

I was going to call O2 Customer Services at around 19:00, after tea, but at 18:49 I got another automated & unexpected text from 2030  "We're about to send you settings so you can use O2 Prepay WAP. Please save and activate them if asked". 

I saved the settings, lost all mobile data, turned the phone off and on again, and after briefly going to H/H+ data, the 4G icon has made a welcome return to my phone.

So it appears that someone, somewhere has re-enabled 4G to my account again!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Yes, clearly it's not enabled on your account.
Keep calling CS until you find someone competent enough to fix the issue for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Someone has messed up your account. Call and make them understand that they need to enable 4G again.

Message 3 of 6

michael80
  • 15 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for both responses. I've been at work, so haven't been in a position to respond sooner.

I was going to call O2 Customer Services at around 19:00, after tea, but at 18:49 I got another automated & unexpected text from 2030  "We're about to send you settings so you can use O2 Prepay WAP. Please save and activate them if asked". 

I saved the settings, lost all mobile data, turned the phone off and on again, and after briefly going to H/H+ data, the 4G icon has made a welcome return to my phone.

So it appears that someone, somewhere has re-enabled 4G to my account again!

Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
That's good news, thanks for letting us know.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions