cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Classic cut off!! (without warning)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anybody recently been cut off even though used very recently? (no signal, sim unassigned, balance £0 etc.)

I managed to get it back and credit re-established after a couple of calls to C/S.

What gives?? 

Message 1 of 73
72 REPLIES 72

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 791 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Thanks for waiting folks 😊

I've had this clarified and the website has now been updated with the correct detail, this can be seen here and below ↘️

If you don’t top up, add a Bolt On or carry out any chargeable activity at least once in any six month period, your O2 Pay As You Go sim card will be disconnected and you’ll lose any remaining credit on your account.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 21 of 73

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7136 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1590 Solutions

@Dave-O2 

Just clarifying the 'or' Does this mean you don't have to top up every 6 months if you are making calls?

Otherwise it should be 'and'.

Alternatively you can top up every 6 months and not have to make calls 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 22 of 73

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93336 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

I interpreted as either or

Yes still not 100% clear in that respect

Should be 'or' inserted between those three options

Message 23 of 73

Cleoriff
  • 124298 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I interpreted as either or

Yes still not 100% clear in that respect

Should be 'or' inserted between those three options

Yes I agree @jonsie @Dave-O2 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 73

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 791 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Thanks @Enlli@Cleoriff@jonsie 

To confirm you'll only need to action one of the 3 activities every 6 months to keep a number connected.

So top up, add a bolt on, or make some form of chargeable activity (calls,SMS,mobile data)

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 25 of 73

jonsie
  • 93336 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Thanks @Dave-O2 for clarifying

So, as @MI5 stated elsewhere, this is what we have been advising but customers not convinced unless this was stated in the terms and conditions

Hopefully we can now put this one to bed....

....until the next time 😉

Message 26 of 73

Bob200
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 Classic PAYG SIM disconnected, despite meeting required conditions.

Community Manager, Dave-O2, posted on 18 Jan 2024 that to keep a Classic PAYG sim connected, I would need to top up, add a bolt on, or make some form of chargeable activity (calls,SMS,mobile data) once every six months. My experience is that this doesn't work and I can't find a way by telephoning O2 customer service on 03448 090222 or emailing complaintreviewservice@o2.com to get my SIM reconnected. Can anyone please help me to navigate my way through the O2 maze to get myself re-connected and get my credit back?

My SIM was disconnected without warning on or shortly before 11 Feb 2024, despite sending chargeable texts on 13 Jan 2024 and 9 Sep 2023. I telephoned O2 customer service, that day, and was told my sim had 'expired' and for her to send out a new sim, I would have to agree to take out a new agreement with a monthly charge of either £6 or £8. Only then would she be able ro recover my credit. I tried to explain that if I did that, I wouldn't be able to transfer back to Classic PAYG as it is only available to customers who are already on it. I attempted to explain that I had been disconnected in error, despite meeting the published conditions, and could not understand how my 4G sim could possibly have 'expired' since it had worked perfectly since a sim swap in 2018. The agent was unmoved and said, without signing up to a new agreement, there was nothing she could do to reconnect me. I told her I was not prepared to do what she wanted and would submit an official complaint.

I sent my complaint to complaintreviewservice@o2.com at 11.59 on 11 Feb and received an auto response, 'Thanks for contacting O2 Complaint Review Service. We've received your email and will look into it as soon as possible. We'll be in touch once we've assessed the matter and we aim to do this within 7 working days.' It is now over 2 weeks since then and I still haven't received a response. There doesn't appear to be any complaint tracking process in place as the standard response didn't provide a reference number.

Can anyone please help?

Message 27 of 73

Enlli
  • 7136 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1590 Solutions

Whatever they say, the official complaints procedure seems to take around 8 weeks

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 28 of 73

gmarkj
  • 12385 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1149 Solutions

Not sure if you can step in to help here @Dave-O2 as @Bob200 has gone down the complaints route?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 29 of 73

jonsie
  • 93336 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

It's always been hit and miss with regards to disconnecting sims

The same happened to my own classic sim a while ago

Disconnected even though calling my home phone some three months prior

I was met with the same response so I just gave up and binned the sim. There was less than £2 credit and admittedly I hadn't topped it up in the three years since the initial £10 top up which was the reason given. Not even my offer to top up there and then would sway the adviser. Point blank refusal to reconnect and was not given any options to keep the number either.

Message 30 of 73