cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Classic cut off!! (without warning)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anybody recently been cut off even though used very recently? (no signal, sim unassigned, balance £0 etc.)

I managed to get it back and credit re-established after a couple of calls to C/S.

What gives?? 

Message 1 of 73
72 REPLIES 72

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 

thanks for reply, I’ve always texted every month or so for quite a while.

Message 11 of 73

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie Shame U got kicked off. Ex employee here said they could reconnect before the number went onto stage two of number recycling 

Inactivity  uncertainty and signal strength making  o2 less appealing. 

Message 12 of 73

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37282 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I had the Classic PAYG and made sure I made a chargeable call once every 4/5 months

All was well for 2 years but this year in May I went to make a call and the sim had been disconnected

When I rang up they told me it was disconnected because I hadn't topped up for over 12 months

I lost the number and credit because it had been reclaimed 4 months previously

So it would seem that they are enforcing the top up rule regardless of making the required call

That's why Ts&Cs exist - so cavalier management decisions or unknowing (I almost wrote "uncaring" there!) CS agents can just ignore them, @jonsie

Message 13 of 73

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 791 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @madasaf1sh 

I'll get this clarified and provide an update as soon as possible 👍

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 14 of 73

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dave-O2 

Hi,

I'm being bugged to accept a solution but not resolved yet !!

Ofcom says:

If you're concerned that your PAYG phone might be suspended because you don't use it enough, ask your provider:

• How long will it be before they suspend an inactive phone?
  • What can you do to make sure your phone stays active? Do you have to make a call, or can you simply send a text?

If you use search-engine and ask about o2 Classic inactivity, it's still clear as mud !!!

Message 15 of 73

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dave-O2 

Is this thread going to be updated (‘after all’ you are the community manager!)

Looks like (if no reply) once 8 weeks have passed I’ll need to contact ‘Communications Ombudsman’

Message 16 of 73

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7136 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1590 Solutions

He can only report what is fed back from the powers that be. And Classic PAYG will be bottom of their list. It's redundant looses money. 

I fully expect O2 to close their PAYG like Virgin did and shift things to Giffgaff 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 17 of 73

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 791 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous 

I'm still waiting for confirmation on this, once i have any further updates to share, i'll update this thread.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 18 of 73

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Enlli 

That’s as may be, we still are functioning as classic customers and need to know (without ambiguity) where we stand in a ‘timely’ manner. 

Message 19 of 73

Oxonian
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 7648 Posts
  • 147 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@Enlli wrote:

He can only report what is fed back from the powers that be. And Classic PAYG will be bottom of their list. It's redundant looses money. 

I fully expect O2 to close their PAYG like Virgin did and shift things to Giffgaff 

I agree with you @Enlli on classic PAYG, which is already being phased out as new customers can no longer sign up. 

I do wonder how Big Bundles and Rolling Plans will be dealt with as they will provide a regular and possibly more substantial income stream to O2 ? And it probably isn't as easy as moving folks onto contracts, as I guess that many who utilise Rolling Plans do so because they would fail a credit check.  

Message 20 of 73