Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 6 months rule on Classic PAYG

Gingerlee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I understand that Classic PAYG terms and condtitions have changed, requiring me to topup or add a bolt on every six months.

Is there any way for me to find out when I last topped up?
I would prefer to be able to plan ahead to use up my credit before moving to another network.

If I get close to the 6 month period, will I get warning that my account will be deleted and the number that I have had for many, many years will be lost?

Thanks for any helpful replies.

Lee Sanders.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Gingerlee 

You just need to make a chargeable call every 6 months and top up every 999 days.

There is no warning from O2 before disconnection.

If you want to move your number, just request your PAC Guide: How to get your PAC [June 2021 Update] 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

Gingerlee
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, but I think that's old rules.

New rules, see ...

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go#:~:text=With%20Classic%20Pay%20As%20Yo....

... say "If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account."

It's only £20 a year but I'd be better off paying 40p a text etc as long as credit doesn't expire or I have to topup. 

Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Gingerlee 

We know what the website says and it's wrong.

O2 want you to top up as they don't want anyone to remain on that tariff now it's been discontinued.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 14

G4Grandad
Level 3: Thinker
  • 39 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
This question keeps cropping up every few weeks. Why can't someone in authority at 02 give the Community a statement and clarify this issue once and for all.
Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

The information given above is correct and no one who has made a chargeable call in any 6 month period has had their sim disconnected

We don't need any misinformation on the website or from a less than knowledgeable customer service assistant

Message 6 of 14

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hi everyone 

@jonsie @Gingerlee @G4Grandad @MI5 

We have checked this internally and just to clarify, it is as below:

If you don’t do anything with the SIM for 6 months (whether that’s inbound/outbound/top-up/buy a bolt-on), then the MSISDN re-use process will start. The number will be disconnected from cellular service (but not removed from SMP/ABS) and you won’t be able to use it.

It will be possible for the MSISDN to be recovered to use (with the service /tariff profile AND the credit that was associated when it was quarantined) for another 6 months.

I hope this makes sense smiling

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 14

G4Grandad
Level 3: Thinker
  • 39 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thank you. And, Yes, it makes perfect sense and sounds more than fair to customers and the network.
The help and support available in this community is superb. Thank you again.
Message 8 of 14

4weuiw
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't think what Jansie said is true - at least it wasn't in my case. I have set a calendar reminder for my Classic SIM for just under every 6 months and, to be safe, I always added a bolt-on/top-up (the lowest price one) rather than just making a chargeable call. My last chargeable event was an SMS sent in Jan (10th), and when I turned the SIM on today it is dead! I logged into my account to check and it says I have no products in that account.

Totally sucks!

Message 9 of 14

4weuiw
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just saw @TheresaV reply in this thread... how do I go about recovering my number/credit, and can you tell me what happened so I can avoid it happening again? Thank you!

Message 10 of 14