Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International charges

HectorP
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought an international PAYG sim to avoid paying £4.99 per day and flew to the US yesterday.

I've had 2 texts from O2, one said I've got 3000 texts, 100mb of data and calls at 1p per minute up to 26th Feb (which is what I was told in the shop). The 2nd text was from O2 roaming and said it was £2 per minute to call and 50p per text with data being £7.20 per mb. I have been charged 50p per text (1 text was 49 words and I got charged £1 for it). 

Why am I being charged this? I bought the sim believing I could make calls home but now I can't afford to. 

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Unfortunately, the international sim is for use only in the UK to call and text overseas. This should have been clearly stated both on the website and with any documentation with the sim if purchased from a retailer. The message you received is correct for using the phone outside of the EU.

Certain tariffs allow the free usage in the US but you would need to have the O2 Travel Inclusive bolt on.

Please be aware that sending one text or using any data at all (you would need to switch off mobile/cellular data so as not to use data when apps update) will trigger the £4.99/day charge if you have the standard O2 Travel bolt on.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/international-sim

O2 International Sim

What is it?

Make UK calls to international mobiles and landlines from just 1p per minute with International Sim. Plus get O2 minutes, O2 texts and data.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Unfortunately, the international sim is for use only in the UK to call and text overseas. This should have been clearly stated both on the website and with any documentation with the sim if purchased from a retailer. The message you received is correct for using the phone outside of the EU.

Certain tariffs allow the free usage in the US but you would need to have the O2 Travel Inclusive bolt on.

Please be aware that sending one text or using any data at all (you would need to switch off mobile/cellular data so as not to use data when apps update) will trigger the £4.99/day charge if you have the standard O2 Travel bolt on.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/international-sim

O2 International Sim

What is it?

Make UK calls to international mobiles and landlines from just 1p per minute with International Sim. Plus get O2 minutes, O2 texts and data.

Message 2 of 7

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

That is a scarry amount of knowledge @jonsie 

"a font of knowledge" 

It is a shame that this information was not given to @HectorP

through the other channels.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 7

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @HectorP, and welcome to the forum Wave I hope the information @jonsie shared above helped you understand better the tariffs and charges, but if you have any other question please let us know!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 7

HectorP
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi and thanks everyone for your help. Clearly I was given bad advice when I was sold the sim in the O2 shop. I'll hear back there when I'm home. 😠
Message 5 of 7

HectorP
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks Jonsie,

An update - I headed into the O2 shop today and got a refund for the sim as it had been reccommended in error.

Cheers for your help. 

Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions