cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi text messaging when abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that TuGo is being cancelled I have changed over to the wifi calling feature, which was OK until I went to India and now I have no wifi calls or texts as wifi calling does not work outside the UK.

Is there a way I can retreive my text messages from my O2 number over wifi now that I do not have TuGo?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149624 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
Texts are always free to receive so you could connect to the mobile network to check if you have received any.
Make sure data is fully off though to ensure no data is used whilst doing this.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
At present no until o2 activate sms over WiFi
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 149624 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
Texts are always free to receive so you could connect to the mobile network to check if you have received any.
Make sure data is fully off though to ensure no data is used whilst doing this.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, the problem I have is that I am in a place with no network signal at all for weeks at a time but i do have wifi.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 149624 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
Unfortunately there is one place I go abroad which is the same and I'm still looking for a solution myself.
Message 5 of 7

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous,

As they said, O2's Wifi Calling service doesn’t currently support the ability to send/receive SMS when there is no cellular coverage available.  fingers_crossed

Thanks @adamtemp64 and @MI5 for the help heartHero

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 94110 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

I am can only suggest you use the likes of Skype and WhatsApp, Messanger etc to those contacts that use any of them too. No way ideal but with no network signal you would be in the same situation without wifi calling unless you would have used TU on contract. Unfortunately changing to wifi calling has deleted TU if had it prior to your changing. 

Message 7 of 7