Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS support

Mr-Elly-Font
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

With more and more providers starting to roll out RCS across the world. I'm just wondering if O2 have announced if they will be rolin it out across the uk any time soon.

Message 1 of 86
85 REPLIES 85

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
You interpret it differently to me so I'll call in @Chris_K to clarify.
Is O2 planning on introducing RCS please?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 86

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

RCS technology is not something we currently support or have any immediate plans for, but is something we are looking into and exploring. It’s a complex technology to implement, further complicated by the fact there are several 'versions' of it that aren't compatible with one another and that different manufacturers have different levels of support for it. I assure you it is not the case that Google have done the ‘hard work’ and it’s just a case of flicking a switch – that’s definitely not the case.

If or when anything changes I’ll of course let everyone know, but as this isn't something we have any immediate plans for, I don’t expect there will be much to update on over the next few months.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 22 of 86

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Thanks Chris. That was my interpretation too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 23 of 86

Mr-Elly-Font
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Has this now change with what the Verge are reporting today with RCS https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/19/17252486/google-android-messages-chat-rcs-anil-sabharwal-imessage...

Message 24 of 86

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
We've not been given any official updates.

Currently using:
Message 25 of 86

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mr-Elly-Font wrote:

Has this now change with what the Verge are reporting today with RCS https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/19/17252486/google-android-messages-chat-rcs-anil-sabharwal-imessage...

Telefónica is on the list...

Message 26 of 86

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mr-Elly-Font wrote:

Has this now change with what the Verge are reporting today with RCS https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/19/17252486/google-android-messages-chat-rcs-anil-sabharwal-imessage-texting 

Telefónica is on the list...

Just because Telefónica is on the list doesn't mean that O2-UK will implement RCS support.

Message 27 of 86

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Chris_K wrote:

@MI5wrote:

RCS technology is not something we currently support or have any immediate plans for, but is something we are looking into and exploring. It’s a complex technology to implement, further complicated by the fact there are several 'versions' of it that aren't compatible with one another and that different manufacturers have different levels of support for it. I assure you it is not the case that Google have done the ‘hard work’ and it’s just a case of flicking a switch – that’s definitely not the case.

If or when anything changes I’ll of course let everyone know, but as this isn't something we have any immediate plans for, I don’t expect there will be much to update on over the next few months.

Seeing as Telefonica are on the list of mobile operators supporting RCS then I don't see O2-UK having much of a choice but to support it anyway.

Message 28 of 86

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

O2 UK is run as an entirely separate business so it doesn’t guarantee anything.

Currently using:
Message 29 of 86

Matt0801
Level 3: Thinker
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, let's hope Telefonica use some muscle and force o2 to pull their fingers out their backsides. With a single universal profile available to one and all, there's no excuse not to implement this based in the "several versions that don't work together" comment.

If apple attempted to implement this, o2 would roll over immediately. This is just further evidence of the fact o2 view the massive Android userbase as second rate and exhibits poor customer service by deliberately leaving their customers isolated from bringing the antequated SMS and MMS messaging into the current century for them.

Google Pixel 3 XL, Android Q beta 4
Message 30 of 86