Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling App

JJM4672
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just got a new phone through Mobile Phones Direct on a contract. I have discovered that the phone doesnt have O2 firmware so I can't use the Calling App. Does anyone know if I can get the O2 firmware installed or when the app will be available to those without O2 firmware?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Depends which app and what phone we are talking about.
You may still be able to use O2 Ask though?
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/apps/o2-ask
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Depends which app and what phone we are talking about.
You may still be able to use O2 Ask though?
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/apps/o2-ask
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

JJM4672
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry. I should have put that in. I have a Samsung S9. It is the one that allows me to use my wifi connection for calls and texts. I assumed when I bought the phone that it would come with O2 firmware and that it would be available. Those apps are great when one needs to call numbers that would usually charge. 

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
You would still be charged using O2 wifi calling.
It is designed to work with no mobile signal, not to avoid charges.
The minutes used come out of your allowances and if chargeable, would cost the same as a normal call.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @JJM4672 and welcome to the forum slight_smile Did the info @MI5 shared help clarify things for you or do you ahve any further questions?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 8

JJM4672
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not really. I still don't know what I can do about having no O2 firmware on my phone and I still don't know if the app is going to be available without the O2 firmware. The O2 Ask suggestion is helpful. I will have to try it out.

Message 6 of 8

JJM4672
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Than you very much for the suggestion. I will give O2 ask a try.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
The only way to get o2 firmware on your phone is to flash it yourself.
This may void your warranty though and we are forbidden from telling you how to do this I’m afraid.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8