Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Voda mast

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions

Screenshot_20180714-151050_1.jpgIMAG0021_1.jpg this is a 3g mast between Vodafone and o2 thought to show for the curiosity

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Message 2 of 8

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Interesting photo and article, thanks for sharing @liggerz87 and @pgn!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pgn

I hate to be the one to tell you this but last I checked, O2 was using a combination of Virgin Media Business and BT Wholesale for backhaul links to the core network.

Yes, I'm no fan of BT either.

Message 4 of 8

pgn
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

That does not surprise me, @Anonymous - even AT&T use BT from Glasgow to reach out to this corner of the world - almost vmincestuous in nature are the relationship between Telecomms providers. 

Ever heard of Hibernia Atlantic? Now GTT, I think -- an ambitiously low-latency network of transatlantic fibres, originally targeting financial institutions, but probably part of somebody else's "backbone network". . . 

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pgn

Yes, the ISP I use used to have a router housed in what was Telx New York (now owned by Digital Realty) and they connected to Hibernia's cables at Southport.

As you say they are now part oif GTT.

They use GTT and NTT for transit.

One of the other reasons I picked them (apart from the superb support when it is required).

They did terminate ADSL on their own exchange kit but FTTP still terminates on BT's kit and they hand traffic off, just like with a lot of ADSL providers.

Still I cannot complain.

But we digress.

Message 6 of 8

pgn
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Perish the thought that a Community Off-topic post and subsequent discussion should digress, @Anonymous Crazy LOL

Looks like BT and EE are having their own difficulties providing the "blue lights" network for emergency services' use. Not enough backbone infra in remote locations, perhaps?   Interestingly, the report below cites 2020 as a date by wish all carriers have to have fulfilled their obigations - makes you wonder why 2020, specifically... 

I hope the FT paywall does not interfere with the link below:

Vodafone asks for EE to map out access to new UK network

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pgn

Alas the paywall got in the way.

While there's always been SIM access priority (Government/Emergency Services at the top, followed by operator engineers, then customers) I'd have thought they might want to segregate emergency traffic completely from commercial traffic even though it would be expensive for the Home Office to roll out it's own network of course though considering the cost of the project already that might have been cheaper by the time the roll out was complete.

There was an interesting discussion on a mobile network related forum I used to help moderate about the possibility of a national grid type of network which all the operators share with signals being mutlplexed.

It would mean that coverage was uniform and the providers could compete on price alone although it's been some years since I've seen coverage claims in mobile network ads, does anyone care about that anymore?

Will definitely be interesting to see what happens.

Message 8 of 8