Did you mean: 

Indoor plants

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi guys, 

I've never been too good at taking care of plants at home, but recently I got one that seems to be quite happy with my care. It motivated me to get three more shortly after! 

However, with my not-so-good history, I was wondering if you guys have any tips on plant care, or recommendations on particularly strong plants that will require low maintenance since I'd like to get more plants soon!

Below I've added photos of the 4 plants I currently have - for those interested I can find the name of each of them later 🌱

Plant Plant

PlantPlant

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123053 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

I'm useless with houseplants @EmilieT. We have warm air central heating and it kills them off.

I have a few in the conservatory and they do ok. The problem is every single plant needs different care.

Some need feeding plant food and others don't. Cacti, need very little water and others need more depending on the season. The worse thing you can do with any plant is leave it in standing water ie you lift out of any outer pot and it drips water.  It will rot the roots

I have orchids in the conservatory and they do well... we water depending on the weather as that area gets very hot in summer and cold in winter.

I also have a cyclamen which 'dies' off in the summer and blooms during the winter and spring months

I never water it during the summer.

You would be better off finding out the names of each plant and treating them accordingly. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10776 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

I know the 2nd plant "Mother in  law's tongue"

Hardy and the 3rd plant quite easy going last plant I recognize but don't know it's care, is it peace lily?

Don't know 1st plant. Agree with ALL @Cleoriff has said each plant needs it's own individual care plan. The plants you have in the photos are all quite easy.

I like the swiss cheese plant  quite easy going.

I have cactus but do not recommend them.

I also like the coloured leaves plants coleus lovely colourful leaves quite easy.

Spider plant  very easy.

Easy going is the Yucca.  

Calathea easy lovely colour leaves too.

Rubber plant, polish leaves needs reasonable attention, bit boring🤭

Umbrella plant, easy with attractive leaves.

With good care all should look lovely. 

Hope this helps 🤔💐🌻

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 11

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25180 Posts
  • 814 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry @EmilieT can`t be of an help with this.

I know nothing about plants or looking after them - possibly due to being made to do "gardening" when at junior school [many decades ago] - although I do appreciate looking at plants and a well-maintained garden.

Good luck with your indoor plants. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 11

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff I can imagine the plants don't like the central heating much indeed! I researched each of the 4 plants in the pictures before buying them, and picked them specifically because they were low-maintenance and had similar needs - the least I have to remember, the better their chances to survive 🙄 I had never heard of cyclamens before, they look gorgeous! How can you tell if it "dies" only temporarily or really needs extra care? Just curious slight_smile

@TallTrees I took note of all those plants you recommended as being quite easy,so I can look into them a bit more, thanks! Coloured leaves are gorgeous heart_eyes

@Mi-Amigo Gardening in school? That's one unusual subject to study, did you pick it or was it imposed? Thanks for the best wishes anyway, I'll take all the luck I can get when it comes to plants

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 11

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10776 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

I noticed that your choice of plants was very good indeed.  I thought maybe the shop you purchased them from recommended them to you,  excellent Researchcool

I like the coloured leaves as they add some colour.  I have grown those very often and there is a good variety of them too, research suitability for your conditions of course.

I really love the leaves of the swiss cheese plant.

Let us know how you go.  

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123053 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

This is the exact cyclamen I have

Image result for Image of cyclamen indoor plant

What happens when it dies down, the leaves start going yellow and wilt, and the flowers droop and then it stops flowering. I remove all the dead and dying foliage and leave it as it is. No watering or feeding.  In November the shoots from the tuber start to appear and I then give it a little water. By Christmas is in full bloom and then I water weekly. You just remove any drooping flowers to allow others to grow. It lasts till late Feb/March.  It really does well. My son and daughter in law bought it me for Christmas 15 years ago!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 11

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25180 Posts
  • 814 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

Gardening was forced on me at junior school. I can still remember the school had a garden plot and the teacher thought it would a good idea for us the learn about nature by weeding the plot. She came to regret it when [not knowing the difference] I pulled up the recently planted flowers Whistle, which went down well LOL

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 8 of 11

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 9 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 123053 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I went to the same school @Mi-Amigo , it was a very good school...it was Approved LOL

Only the best for you @jonsie rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 11