Great British Bake Off 2019

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Baking ustensils

Hey guys, 

I've just spotted that the contestant for this year's Great British Bake Off have now been revealed, which got me all excited for the upcoming series!

It's a great wholesome and delicious show that I love to watch, and I was wondering if any of you guys follow it too? 

Let me know how you like it, what your favourite themed week is, if there's any new theme you'd like to see, and if there's any contestant from the list you're looking forward to getting to know more through their baking creations!🧁🥖🍰🥧🥐

I always get really inspired while watching the Bake Off, so I might be using my oven and bringing more baked goods to the office during that time, and maybe share some pictures of what I make with you all as well if you'd like slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 172
171 REPLIES 171

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25162 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The GBBO Semi-final is being discussed by posters to newspapers.

I thought I`d share one comment, in The Guardian, with regards to the "glass case showstopper":

If only Helena were still here she’d put something amazing in this bull**** glass case. A shrunken head. A haunted eyeball. A rat-king.

joy

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 161 of 172

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122942 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

I thought I`d share one comment, in The Guardian, with regards to the "glass case showstopper":

If only Helena were still here she’d put something amazing in this bull**** glass case. A shrunken head. A haunted eyeball. A rat-king.

joy

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

joy

Oh so true....Or a cauldron....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 162 of 172

Mi-Amigo
  • 25162 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Advanced info on the final [from i news website]

The GBBO 2019 will be screend on Channel 4 on Tuesday 20 Oct from 8.00pm.

Steph, Alice and David will gather on the lawn outside the tent with friends and families.

The three rounds:

More info

Signature: a chocolate cake [and you can bet it won`t be that simple]

Technical: delicate souffle [which is difficult to get right under normal circumstances]

Showstopper: described as "an edible illusion, using only cake, bread, and biscuits" [now that is going to be well worth seeing]

Most people assume the winner wins a hefty cash prize, and a book deal - not so. All the winner gets is a bouquet of flowers and a cake stand... Although Nadyia did get a BBCTV deal [thanks to being Paul`s favourite before the beeb dropped the show]. 

This is, in my opinion, going to be a really good final.  

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 163 of 172

Cleoriff
  • 122942 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Nadiya also baked a cake for the Queen due to some anniversary or another. She has now also written a book

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 164 of 172

Cleoriff
  • 122942 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Well what a great show for the final.

More info
However Steph and Alice failed miserably in two out of the three challenges. Steph spent a lot of time crying (not impressed with Paul cuddling ONLY her when Alice had a terrible time thinking her parents weren't going to get to the show and was so upset.
David was Mr Calm for every challenge.
Signature: A Chocolate Cake with decoration. Neither Alice or Steph did well with that
Technical:  Souffle. The only one who produced perfect souffles was David
Showstopper: A picnic basket with illusion cakes, biscuits and bread.
Steph fell to bits during this challenge, Alice was a little better and David was absolutely amazing

So the shock winner and rightly so, based on this week, was David. Never been Star baker but pulled it out of the bag this week.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 165 of 172

Cleoriff
  • 122942 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

PS It was so lovely seeing the end clips and how so many of this very friendly group met up again.

All in all a great series.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 166 of 172

Mi-Amigo
  • 25162 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A brilliant series comes to an end. The friendship between the bakers and their impressive bakes has been a pleasure to watch.

More info

Alice and Steph both started poorly with the signature. Previously Alice had pulled things back at the Technical, but, no doubt worried about whether her parents were going to make it to the tent, Alice failed to nail it; and Steph seemed to have lost the skill for which she was renown. This left David who impressed Paul. Then it came to the Showstopper. Steph clearly thought she had lost it. Alice did try to make a come back, but to no avail and David was named the winner.

In my opinion, Paul and Pru should have taken into account the previous weeks. David wasn`t once Star Baker. If GBBO had been judged on overall performance then I think Alice should have been the winner.

I`d like to thank @EmilieT for creating this thread, and would add I have enjoyed reading the different opinions and comments. thumbsup   

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 167 of 172

Cleoriff
  • 122942 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo 

More info
I agree about Alice and she would have been my choice to win due to her previous weeks work.
However like all TV reality competitions, the person who does the best in the final wins the competition
I know you don't watch SCD but every week, there is a dance off between 2 couples. Catherine has been consistently better than Mike but they were voted into the dance off. Mike has been in the dance off nearly every week and yet again he was saved due to his dance off being better than Catherines. Same with BGT and X Factor.

Bottom line, both girls fell apart tonight and David calmly went on to win. He wasn't a favourite of mine but there you go wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 168 of 172

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

More info

Dont think I've ever felt so sorry for a contestant before. Poor lass just fell apart after smashing it week in week out.

Message 169 of 172

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Just caught up as well last night guys so I think we can let go of the spoiler tags!

What an emotional week, I truly felt for Steph who was having a hard time and unfortunately her nerves got the best of her. Same for Alice, who still did great but had some issues that were likely due to stress too. David was definitely an underdog coming into the final, and I was really impressed with his calm and positivity throughout - very inspiring slight_smile

It was lovely to see everyone again and how their friendship hadn't faltered. In the "what have they been up to since the show" bit, did you also notice how Michael had been all over the country to hang out with all the other bakers? hugging

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 170 of 172