Great British Bake Off 2019

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Baking ustensils

Hey guys, 

I've just spotted that the contestant for this year's Great British Bake Off have now been revealed, which got me all excited for the upcoming series!

It's a great wholesome and delicious show that I love to watch, and I was wondering if any of you guys follow it too? 

Let me know how you like it, what your favourite themed week is, if there's any new theme you'd like to see, and if there's any contestant from the list you're looking forward to getting to know more through their baking creations!🧁🥖🍰🥧🥐

I always get really inspired while watching the Bake Off, so I might be using my oven and bringing more baked goods to the office during that time, and maybe share some pictures of what I make with you all as well if you'd like slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 172
171 REPLIES 171

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So all under a spoiler now...

More info
The first bake was Domed tarts. All did ok but they gave better comments to Alice (only criticised piping)
Technical: Gateau St Honorie. 1st: Rosie which was a surprise as she redid it after she messed up) 2nd David, 3rd Steph, 4th Alice.
Showstopper: Alice and Steph really pulled it back with this Sugar Glass confection. Very difficult. Alice again got the best comments. David was criticised for his layers of cake, and Rosie ..WELL! what an awful bland NON showstopper!
Star Baker. ALICE yay Happy Dance Rosie, quite rightly was eliminated.
More info

Final next week....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 151 of 172

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
First decent desision of the series imo.
Well not the first, but definitely some questionable choices this year
Message 152 of 172

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Can't wait to watch it tonight, sounds like it was a good week nerd

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 153 of 172

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Resisted the temptation to click on the spoiler, but I`m definitely going to watch catchup tonight...

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 154 of 172

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just watched it on catchup.

Here are my comments [under spoiler]

More info

Signature: I thought they all seemed to do quite well and Alice rightly deserved the praise from Paul.

Technical: oh dear, Rosie messed up three time, Steph sturggled, and I was yelling at the telly when Alice found it difficult and game last, and to top it Rosie came first. I thought "That`s it, Alice is gonna go"....

but in the interview during the Showstopper, Paul said "Alice is really going for it". It seemed as though she`d had a wake up call overnight. Quite rightly Rosie got sent home and I was so pleased that Alice got Star Baker as she, Steph and David go into next week`s final.

Can` wait for the final, and as Paul said it could be one of the best ever...

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 155 of 172

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

All cuaght up as well! It was a very interesting week overall I thought - that technical was nerve-wracking, but what a delicious French dessert wink Alice's and Steph's showstopper looked stunning, really pleased with the star baker the week and agree with the eliminated baker as well. I thought it was really sweet they all had ties on at the beginning to keep the spirit of Henry around a bit longer in the tent slight_smile

signature

Message 156 of 172

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

Now everyone has seen it, I agree with @EmilieT that the showstopper bakes did look tempting yum

I think it was only Rosie`s poor week which stopped David from getting eliminated, as his Showstopper did not meet the spec and his tower was too much like the multi-cake bake in a previous week.

So looking forward to the final next week... Wonder what treats they`ve got lined up?

I think it is now too close to call as to who will win....

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 157 of 172

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

About David's showstopper -despite it being essentially a stack of cakes- how adorable were those tiny piped succulents on top though ... hugging

signature

Message 158 of 172

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@EmilieT wrote:

About David's showstopper -despite it being essentially a stack of cakes- how adorable were those tiny piped succulents on top though ... hugging

... sounds like something you`ve got personal experience of making @EmilieT ? joy

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 159 of 172

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I honestly thought Rosie gave up this week. Even though she came first in the technical (by some fluke as she chucked her original away and started again)...she made NO effort in the showstopper. 

Oh and Noel Fielding? I have never liked the bloke and thought this was a weird show for him to do! I dislike the way he goes round trying to be funny. Hardly appropriate asking 'what's the worst thing she has smelled as a vet'? Very nice when she is cooking cakes!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 160 of 172