cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MUSIC:- iPod versus a Smartphone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Nokia touch & type phone, the contract on that runs out in about sometime say Nov/Dec time - I have a basic Kindle coming off Amazon shortly for reading - I am currently buying CDs off Amazon and playing them on (1) a mini tower system my son gave me several years ago now & (2) a personal flat 7"square electronic device I can plug headphones into, but I want something more personal/portable. After doing some research on Google about what the various portable electonic devices are about.I have come up with the iPod OR do I wait until later in the year when my phone is up for renewal & my free SKY tv goes off (to do with O2 going over to SKY for internet provision) & then Xmas would be coming up ..... & tie every thing up neatly and go for a smartphone? 

Message 1 of 73
72 REPLIES 72

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

What a nice long thread Cat Happy

Sorry it went a bit off topic! Smiley Embarassed

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 61 of 73

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
What the hell is trad slight_smile

Glad you asked, I was completely lost!

Message 62 of 73

Anonymous
Not applicable
So was I wink
Message 63 of 73

Anonymous
Not applicable

The 100 Club in London = once saw on tv some time ago now - it'd either be the retired Prima Ballerina Darcey Bussell or Clive James the wonderful Auzzie Anglophine jive ..... yep I know not much difference between the 2 of them is there (tongue firmly in cheek) but it could have been them both separately speaking as-it-were

I had to give up travelling by train to our local trad jazz club ie Bradford & Ilkley Jazz Club, as no transport ..... club ended some time ago now ..... do you get Just Jazz Magazine? The B&IJC had an opening double page spread in the 1st edition ..... as time went on I took it upon myself to have a go at writing up the gigs for JJmag - mostly it was appreciated, but not by the die-hards of the club who'd been there much, much longer than me - I was 60 in mid Jan ..... can't bop anymore, BUT I have good memories of even Fuerteventura with now disbanded Phil Mason's New Orleans Jazz Band with singer Miss Christine Tyrell = 1st live band I'd heard

I like Johnny Boston - Richard Bennett - John Petters - Mr TJ Johnson (he is very versatile/bluesy stuff, BUT I can hear him, in my head, singing 'Georgia' = spine-tinglingly magic) - Barber, Ball & Bilk stuff = I can quite drift off still to what an old jazz man friend of mine calls 'Strangler on the Floor' by Mr Akker Bilk 

I enjoyed growing up in the 60's, but dance-wise and clothes-wise I've allus said I was born too late - lookswise I'd be the lady with a giggle in her voice = Alma Cogan - I can remember her on tv in b & w. I only sing badly in public & loudly to the music in private usually bopping around my living room one hand on the Dyson

London is the hub of trad isn't it ..... do you go to live gigs ..... do you do any festivals = I've done Bute, Keswick, Doveholes, Upton-on-7, in GB ..... I enjoy my cd's ..... good to talk trad to someone

Goodnight, JaneCat Very Happy

Message 64 of 73

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am on a low limited income, but my current little Nokia touch & type mobile phone is playing up ..... it is not letting me know when people have messaged me or rung me 100% of the time ..... I find I have to switch phone off + count to 10 + switch on then it has 'unfrozen' ..... I've always gone to O2 shop in Skipton where I Iive 4 many years & since recently discovering O2 Community online I'm happy/well impressed with your service BUT not 202 voice to voice O2 down the phone line as it all depends upon who answere the phone & i'm easily confused at the best of timew with new 21st century ITstuff

I reckon it would B best to go into the O2 shop & see nice people there, but not on a weekend as once got 'Saturday girl' quite some time ago & she was only there 4 the £'s as-it-were

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Message 65 of 73

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
Choice of phone depends on what you will use it for. There is no point spending hundreds of pounds just for calls and texts. Equally I would not recommend a cheap smart phone as some are very poor.
Tell us what you want to do with it and we can advise better......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 66 of 73

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5: phone calls in & out - texts in & out - voicemail - camera - radio ..... I think that's it, I can't C me wanting to do any fancy stuff on a mobile phone ..... I have my beloved Acer Aspire laptop at home in the spare bedroom & it has been out of house about 3 times in about 2 years ..... I hope this helps - feel free to ask anymore questions ..... Cat Happy

Message 67 of 73

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
I be inclined to keep it simple with something like the Nokia 515 https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/nokia/515/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 68 of 73

Anonymous
Not applicable

ty MI5 Nokia 515 ordered ..... enjoy what is left of the weekend - I'm off 2 watch the closing ceremony of the Socchi Winter Paralympic games, Cat Very Happy

Message 69 of 73

MI5
  • 145204 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
Should be familiar for you to use too - Hope it goes OK for you slight_smile

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 70 of 73