Did you mean: 

I'm on the Edge.. ;)

Mark_1980
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 128 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

The S6 Edge that is...

Decided to take the plunge and go back to Android after years of being happy with iOS. I'm not ashamed to say that there was no other reason other than the fact that I absolutely love the way the S6 Edge looks!

I still have my iPad for Photo Stream / Facetime duties though.. So now at least I can't be pigeonholed into being an Apple Fanboy or a Fandroid.. wink

What swayed me? I'd like to say it was a great deal direct from O2, but sadly not. O2 couldn't even come close to the deal I got from CPW and, although I'm now on a 'regular' 24 month contract (not Refresh) I got the same phone, on the same tariff, and I walked out of CPW with £87 in my back pocket after paying the O2 early upgrade fee. This as opposed to walking into an O2 store and walking out over £300 worse off after getting exactly the same deal (well, same phone and same monthly cost anyway, the only difference being the refresh tariff)..

Now it's time to see what all the hype is about slight_smile

I don't care what rank I am and neither should anyone else.
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
It's not just the screen, the GPU is far more power full and takes some serious juice to push that pixel count.
I said quite openly in my review, it's not a patch on the battery life out there with other devices, but likewise, the Bugatti Veyron is no fuel economists dream either.
The battery lasts a day, and with the powerhouse it is, it's a miracle it even does that. Samsung know this, and have made charging it as quick as can be, or for the more casual among us, just as simple as putting it on a qi disc.
You will find the battery life gets better once the cells start getting used more too.
Message 21 of 47

Mark_1980
  • 128 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
It's not just the screen, the GPU is far more power full and takes some serious juice to push that pixel count.
I said quite openly in my review, it's not a patch on the battery life out there with other devices, but likewise, the Bugatti Veyron is no fuel economists dream either.
The battery lasts a day, and with the powerhouse it is, it's a miracle it even does that. Samsung know this, and have made charging it as quick as can be, or for the more casual among us, just as simple as putting it on a qi disc.
You will find the battery life gets better once the cells start getting used more too.

Thanks for the info @viridis- hopefully with a few full charge cycles under it's belt things will improve slightly slight_smile

On another note, do you know whether the wireless charging pad (the Samsung one) supports quick charging with the quick charge plug and cable hooked up to it?

Message 22 of 47

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
No, wireless charging is limited to the standard charging speed.
As the supplied charger is the adaptive quick charge, it will just auto step-down to normal charge power.

Wireless charging takes approx 2.5-3 hours from empty.
Standard charging takes same time.
Quick charge takes about an hour.
Message 23 of 47

Mark_1980
  • 128 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
No, wireless charging is limited to the standard charging speed.
As the supplied charger is the adaptive quick charge, it will just auto step-down to normal charge power.

Wireless charging takes approx 2.5-3 hours from empty.
Standard charging takes same time.
Quick charge takes about an hour.

Cool, thank you. If it makes no difference I'll stick a standard micro usb lead/plug into the wireless charger and I'll bring the adaptive quick charge combo to work slight_smile

Message 24 of 47

Mark_1980
  • 128 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I've got another gripe...

Why does the OS take up almost 10GB of the available storage? I only went for the 32GB model and out of that I only have 21.92GB left, with only a handful of apps installed (all of which take up less than 500MB).

Is there anything I can do to increase my available storage (ie. can any of the bundled apps be deleted)..? To lose almost a third of my storage just on the operating system seems a excessive.

I'm actually beginning to think about exercising my rights under the 14 day exchange period, fancy screen or no fancy screen!

Message 25 of 47

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145053 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
You can if you root it but that destroys your warranty.
It doesn't sound like you are going to be happy with this so I would return it and go back to Apple.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 26 of 47

Mark_1980
  • 128 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
You can if you root it but that destroys your warranty.
It doesn't sound like you are going to be happy with this so I would return it and go back to Apple.

I wouldn't necessarily go back to Apple. I don't particularly care about voiding the warranty either but as I've never rooted an Android phone before it's not something which I'd be particularly confident about doing, especially as I don't have a laptop/desktop at home to do it on (I only have an iPad).

Just a bit disappointed that the OS takes up so much room. I should have gone for the 64GB option - perhaps I'll go back to CPW to see if I can exchange it for one and pay the extra upfront cost..

Message 27 of 47

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
If you word it right, they may reduce the upfront cost.
Better to swallow a bit of cost, than have a customer cancel the whole sale based on storage..
Message 28 of 47

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Better to swallow a bit of cost, than have a customer cancel the whole sale based on storage..

That seems good advice. Swap it out Mark. Are you still within the 14 days?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 47

Mark_1980
  • 128 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

I just need to think about how to word it now! Obviously I know that the OS will take up the exact same amount of storage on whichever version I go for, but it takes such a large chunk out of a 32GB phone... I should have gone for the 64GB in the first place

*kicks myself*..

Message 30 of 47