cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDGE is offering an Update on my laptop ... ?

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2315 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I use Edge for my Acer Aspire laptop

An update has come up ... but ... advertising hundreds of apps ..... I don't think I want hundreds of apps clogging up my laptop, which is set up to how I like it ... but ... will I be loosing out on something I may regret later ... ?

I am happy with Windows 10

Any help will be gratefully received slight_smile

***DESORMAIS***
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10271 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

You can just update edge with no worries.

You wont be loosing out on anything, i you dont install them.. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 13

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6280 Posts
  • 111 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

Several reputable tech magazines are recommending that users update Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome at the earliest opportunity. These are security updates, hence the importance of installing them without delay.  

Message 3 of 13

RunrigForever
  • 2315 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you both @madasaf1sh & @Oxonian 

I just happened by the O2 shop in Skipton, North Yorkshire ... & ... I called in to see what they say ... spoke to someone, I'd spoken to earlier on a number of occasions ... he basically said if it isn't giving you any problem leave it like it is ... & ... informed me his is on Chrome.

I am hesitant because some time ago I messed up badly with my OPPO phone by following menus which came up on my screen ie Update etc and another decent bloke at the O2 shop said I am using too much data = he sorted my phone out att ..... chap I saw today did mention I have a lot of apps running on my phone (I do know Facebook is running as I can't remember my password)

I have a bad habit of pressing buttons w!lly-nilly and getting it wrong ..... eg on my mobile screen Bruce Springsteen's opinion of best 30 songs on his current World tour = yep, I pressed the No button, by mistake=No going back.

Need to think carefully about this ..... more than I thought xx

***DESORMAIS***
Message 4 of 13

Oxonian
  • 6280 Posts
  • 111 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

With respect @RunrigForever, I think that you are conflating two issues here, namely how you use your handset and the installation of apps - and whether or not you need to update your browsers. 

This was published three days' ago :-

Update Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge Right Now (howtogeek.com)

Other similar articles are recommending updating too. 

Message 5 of 13

RunrigForever
  • 2315 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Oxonian for your informative post above.

I am getting 'Brain Overload' here ..... it's just me & tech ... & ... how it is.

Appreciate I need to do something with my handset and Edge.

@Oxonian May I ask you a question please ?

Are you and the sources you reliable quote meaning I have to update Windows on my handset and laptop and tablet ?

And

I need to update Edge on my laptop only ?

Sorry to appear such a dimwit ..... it is not for want of trying to understand IT ..... just an old Biddy

***DESORMAIS***
Message 6 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions

Jane, your phone will update automatically with the latest updates and edge on your laptop will also keep itself up to date each time you open it.

I'd advise against clicking any demands for manual updates as these could just be advertisements for stuff you don't need as it will just clog up the laptop.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 13

Oxonian
  • 6280 Posts
  • 111 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@RunrigForever 

Yes, my sources are reliable but you are actually conflating two issues here. You will sometimes get updates to your operating system - say Windows on your computer and Android on your 'phone - but what we are talking about here is updates to your web browser. Hence, that's updates to Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and the like. And these need updating individually on all of your gadgets such as your 'phone, tablet and laptop.

If you do not update these, @MI5 has correctly indicated that they will update themselves in due course. But if you want to update them yourself, please ask and I will post detailed guidance as to how to go about it safely and securely. 

And please don't worry about asking questions as you are never too old to learn about IT.

Message 8 of 13

RunrigForever
  • 2315 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @MI5 for your imput above which I read too late to post on the thread.

Informative and put in a way I can understand.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 9 of 13

RunrigForever
  • 2315 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Oxonian for your informative response which I read too late to post a reply.

I may, indeed call upon you again, please, if you can say 'bullit point' instructions for me ... = ... that's what I need when doing what dancers call 'fancy footwork' ..... & ..... generally I usually then chicken out and call upon the services of a local bright young man with his own business and he will come and sort things out on a home visit for me ... but ... right now £funds are somewhat low.

As a personal note: Are you in or from Oxford ? I was there for a year whilst my then husband did a 12 month urban design course at the then Oxford Polytechnic many years ago, probably before you were born ?

I haven't seen you before on the O2 Community ..... may I say I hope you 'stick around'

Thank you again for all your help ... & ... have a pleasant day slight_smile

***DESORMAIS***
Message 10 of 13