Did you mean: 

Halloween movie recommendations

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

For my contribution to Halloweek I'm doing a classic movie discussion. 😄 I've picked a few of my favourite horror films to recommend to the community for some spooky halloween night fun! 

First up is a cult classic that is a great mix of my two favourite genres, sci-fi and horror! Event Horizon staring Sam Neill and Laurence Fishburne as part of a rescue ship sent to investigate the return of a missing experimental faster than light spaceship that has reappeared without her crew but with something else on board. A great atmospheric sci-fi horror that doesn't rely on gore to shock the audience. Definitely one to add to your halloween watchlist. 

Keeping the sci-fi horror theme going my next recommendation is Pandorum. Set aboard an interstellar spaceship, 2 crew members wake from hypersleep with no memory and missing their other crew mates they must try to figure out what happened to the crew and passengers while they were in hypersleep. This one has great perfromances by Dennis Quaid and Ben Foster and a intriguing twist at the end this is a must watch this halloween! 

Screenshot 2022-10-25 at 16.07.14.png

The next film on the list is a bit of a mind bending experience but well worth a watch! Vivarium follows a young couple looking to buy their first home who end up trapped in a nightmare of endless identical houses that seemly go on forever. The creepy estate agent that trapped them offers them a deal for their freedom. This surreal horror will leave you thinking for days afterwards. 

Time for a classic horror! Pet Sematary (1989) is one of my all time favourites and is a genuinely terrifying movie experience. A young family looking for a fresh start move to a new quiet community but the move ends in tragedy with the death of their young son. driven by grief, the farther turns to an ancient burial ground behind his property to bring his son back. 

Last on my list is Insidious. This demonic horror follows a family who are attempting to rescue their comatose son from the grips of an evil spirit who intends on possessing the young child's body.  This is a tense and frightening tale that will keep you on the edge of your seat till the very end!  

Just a few recommendations from me for this halloween weekend. Share your horror picks in the comments below! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 10948 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 358 Solutions

Good grief @Martin-O2 

I probably wouldn't sleep for a month if I watched any of those even reading about the film is a nightmare.  

Well done for a Halloween scary night.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 124120 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

I like horror films @Martin-O2, so thanks for the recommendation of Insidious. I'll check it out.

I'm a Stephen King fan and have read all his books and watched those made into films. I usually find the books are better than the films with the exception of two. The Shining and IT. I would recommend those two films to anyone.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12316 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1146 Solutions

Funnily enough I watched Event Horizon with some friends on Saturday! Great film, with some rather gruesome special effects.

Pandorum is not too shabby either. Very claustrophobic and the ending was unexpected.

It Follows is one I would recommend. Shows a young woman being chased by an entity. Good twist on the normal haunting plot.

Depending on how strong your stomach is the original and the "sequel" Evil Dead are good (the two by Sam Raimi, made in the 80s). More horror comedy, but very good.

Shaun of the Dead is another classic. One of the Cornetto trilogy by Edgar Wright.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 6

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

It's a pretty intense list @TallTrees! I'll try to include some more lighthearted stuff next time around. 😉

I think you'll like Insidious @Cleoriff. Have you seen the new IT films? I still need to watch them but I hear good things.

@gmarkj Event Horizon has some grim moments but a great film overall! I've seen It Follows. Really good movie! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 124120 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

No @Martin-O2 

I won't watch the 2019 version of IT. I hate clowns and the first version of the film frightened me to death, so I won't ever be watching the 2nd one.

A little anecdote about the book. My son bought me IT for Christmas. Every night after I'd read a few pages I would drop the book on the floor and kick it under the bed. I made sure I never let my leg hang out of the bed, no matter how warm I was 😂 I came very close to leaving the light on at night 🤣

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6