Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock o2 outside UK NIGHTMARE

BuggedOtwo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I move in to Germany month ago and trying to unlock my phone since then. At beginning i feelt lucky that 12 months of penalty for buying phone in o2 uk store have passed (that I didn't knew about) and I could finaly unlock my device. After i paid 15£ for unlock I got code that did not work. I email back for help about the issue and instead I got automatic massage with same code 3 times. After that I spoke with guru online and he explained that my device is already unlocked but to finish unlock I need to use UK sim card and than enter the code because it won't work witch sim cards out side UK (Funny thing because my friend have unlock his device a year ago same way I was doing it, he use German o2 sim to unlock UK o2 phone). Now I got problem cuz I don't know anybody with uk sim card. And I need to order it from UK for 10£ plus delivery. And after all this bugs I got no guarantee it will work because now when I log in to my o2 app in unlock menu "your phone is being unlocked enter code" is no longer visible instead it says you need 15£ balance to unlock it... Again!
Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, of course slight_smile
A local phone repair shop or buy a code off ebay etc.
I'd also ask O2 for my £15 back as they have failed to unlock your phone for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You don’t get a code to unlock an iPhone. Once done, you just put a new sim in it. iPhones are also exempt from the 12 month rule https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 18

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@MI5@BuggedOtwo

As MI5 has said, place a different sim in, it will first connect the a network in the back ground, then will ask you for your Apple ID password. This is to ensure phone is yours.

Couple of things to note.

you must insert a sim that is able to work in the country your in and has Data on it.

if you sim doesn’t have any Data, the unlock will fail. The sim has to have data to retrieve the command from the Apple system to unlock the phone.

its also better if you connect to WiFi as the unlock is then sent over Wi-fi.

You never get unlock codes for Apple as they do not exist. 

How the networks unlatch the phone is place your IMEI that you have provided in the Apple system, the system is then what unlatched your phone.

couple of other points to know.

to unlock any phone, it must have first been used on the original network purchase on.

so if the iPhone is an o2 U.K. one, you must have used it on o2 U.K. you must have made call, sent sms and used data.  This is because the networks have to see the phone on the system to be able to unlock it.

When was the phone last used in the U.K.  also what codes are being provided is this from o2 U.K.

if You haven’t used you iPhone in U.K. for a while then you may not be able to unlock it as it may have dropped of the system.

using a o2uk sim in Germany or outside the U.K., will not show on the o2 U.K. system.  You have to use o2 U.K sim in iPhone in UK on o2.

Good luck

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 3 of 18

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 4 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I might suggest that these facts about unlocking an iPhone be added to @MI5's Unlock Guide?

I have never owned an iPhone so am unaware that they are 'exempt from the 12 month rule'

Or indeed, that you don't receive an unlock code. It's done from Apple servers using your Apple ID.

This is not a criticism of the excellent guide, it just seems  incomplete without this additional info?   #justsaying

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 18

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It is also compounded by the fact that that the instructions you receive from O2 to complete the process are wrong too.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If that's the case, even more reason for the guide to be updated so it's giving the all the correct comprehensive information? (Maybe the CS advisors should take a look at it as well!! Rolleys)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 18

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

I would agree. 

I unlock loads of android and Apple iPads and iPhones etc.  Apple devices are the easiest to do and o2 instructions are sent via a sms telling you what to do,

i just got got a sms 2 weeks ago for iPhone 8 unlock.

the instructions are clear too as they have recently been updated.

you iphone is now unlocked to work on any network. However to finish the unlocking procedure you must insert another SIM card and connect to Apple to complete the unlock process.

the message used to say iTunes. But you have not needed iTunes in 4-5 years to unlock.

o2 are also the quickest network to unlock too,

you never ever will get a code as they don’t exisit.

I’m happy to right about the process.  Just let me know.

@jonsie O2 Guru mmmm. Hard to say

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 8 of 18

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The only addition to the guide needed is the clarification of the iPhone process to complete the unlock.
I'll do it if @Marjo can give me editing rights next week.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 18

BuggedOtwo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have Sony Xperia x compact powered by android, bought it in o2 uk store. I need to wait 12 months before I can unlock my device. I need a code in order to unlock it and I need to pay 15£ for it.

Please don't spam topic with guides from o2 page unless you have constructive solution to this problem. Because I suspect I am not the only one with such problems 🤔 in 2018 is o2 new updates. thank you.
Message 10 of 18