cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking phone nightmare

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I have been having huge difficulty in getting O2 to unlock my device to use other network sim cards. Three weeks of constant trying to be told they have filled the form every time and I should get a code shortly. Now, today I was told by a Guru that since the phone was purchased through Carphone Warehouse, they are the ones who could unlock it. Not once did any of the other advisors mentioned this. Now, i got in touch with CW and they have said they DO NOT sell locked phones. Once I insert a sim, the phone automatically gets locked to that network. I have just renewed my contract with O2 and am within the 14 days cooling off period. Maybe I should leave given the lack of service. Any advice or help anyone on how to get my phone unlocked? Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

CPW phones are not locked. Just put another sim in and away you go.

First sim locking is only iPhones, not android.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

CPW phones are not locked. Just put another sim in and away you go.

First sim locking is only iPhones, not android.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous  Have you actually tried a different network's sim in your phone?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino i did try it once within a few months of getting the phone and it didn't work. Maybe because it was a non-UK sim? But I shall try tonight with a UK sim as suggested by @MI5 and post an update here. Thanks.

Message 4 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous  Where the sim is from should have no bearing on whether the phone works or not. Unlocked means unlocked. That's for any sim from any network, unless your phone itself is not compatible with the network frequency in a particular country. If you know the sub-model number of your phone you can check it here: http://willmyphonework.net/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you try lastnight? what was the outcome? @Anonymous

Message 6 of 6