Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service abroad

CVI
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My son is in France and his phone says no service. I have spoken to o2 twice and the first time the lady said she was changing a setting that it could take up to 24 hours. After 24 hours still the same so I called again, I was told there was a second setting that need changing, another 24 hours usually but would be done in 2 hours.... another 24 hours later and still no service. He has tried changing the apn to mobile.o2.co.uk and still nothing. He has an Iphone SE. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

CVI
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
There is no roaming bar for sure. It worked abroad before no problem although last summer we had a problem with it and o2 told me he needed a new sim which we got when we got back home and as he hasn't been abroad since we didn't click that the problem wasn't solved. He has tried selecting manually but doesn't work. He can use wifi no problem so it's a network issue not a phone issue
Message 11 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143413 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@CVI wrote:
There is no roaming bar for sure. It worked abroad before no problem although last summer we had a problem with it and o2 told me he needed a new sim which we got when we got back home and as he hasn't been abroad since we didn't click that the problem wasn't solved. He has tried selecting manually but doesn't work. He can use wifi no problem so it's a network issue not a phone issue

What makes you sure there's no bar?

If it didn't work last summer and it's not working now, surely that must be a consideration?

It may well have worked previously but if the account was changed or upgraded, all services may not have carried across.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 24

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 339 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

I had an identical issue in France last year that took 3 attmepts to solve. I too was told by C.S the same things you have been told. 

Turned out that it had nothing to do with my Data bolt on but was due to a deeply embedded international call bar that should have been turned off and never was. Apparently there are 2 international bars. The first is the roaming bar that allows for data and call roaming. The second is the intenrational number call bar and that is likley the one that needs to be removed. I was told by a helpful C.S agent last year that the bar is there by default and should be removed when when you travel abroad. Sometimes it isn't.

Best course of action is to get back on the C.S and ask them to remove ALL international call bars. This should sort it for you

Message 13 of 24

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @CVI, please do let us know how you're getting on with this. Have you made any progress since you last posted?

Thanks all @Cleoriff@MI5 and @jezza1234 for your help with this so far guys and trying to troubleshoot! thumbsup

Message 14 of 24

SteveD
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So - I have the same problem despite calling ahead last week to make sure I can use my phone abroad. Changed the SIM, reset to manual etc. Convinced there is a network bar but banging my head against a brick wall.

Help..

Message 15 of 24

MI5
  • 143413 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There are 2 levels of network barring for international calls so customer service need to check both bars are off.
@EmilieT if required to assist further........
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 24

SteveD
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought the phone through Carphone Warehouse who have just told me that all O2 phones bought through them have International numbers/ roaming automatically barred. Looks like O2 Guru don't know this....

Message 17 of 24

MI5
  • 143413 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Probably not.....

Currently using:
Message 18 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@SteveD wrote:

I bought the phone through Carphone Warehouse who have just told me that all O2 phones bought through them have International numbers/ roaming automatically barred. Looks like O2 Guru don't know this....

That's untrue @SteveD

I bought my grandsons phone from CPW on O2 network (in July) He was in Portugal in August and had no roaming bars on his account.

He experienced no issues whatsoever....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 24

SteveD
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well clearly either Carphone Warehouse or O2 are wrong. I have spent the best part of 3 hours today trying to get some sense from O2 and being completly messed about......FML

Message 20 of 24