Did you mean: 

New iPad on mobile broadband

Daffodil184
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi! I'm hoping someone can help..

I have an iPhone and existing iTunes account, I've had it for years. This is also on O2.

I recently purchased a new iPad with cellular, so a monthly contract/different number. When setting it up I used my Apple ID and can sign in etc., but it only uses my iPhone number, not the new one associated with the mobile broadband account.

I tried setting up a new Apple ID, but that wouldn't log in to iMessage/FaceTime and so wouldn't set up.

I have reset the iPad four times trying to find a way around this. Surely I should be able to use the new number with it, even with an already in-use iTunes account?

As a result I cannot access to work anywhere Office bundle, as O2 need to send the code to the number associated with the iPad.

I can't get to an O2 store easily, so any ideas/solutions on here would be hugely appreciated!

I've also tried adding the new iPad number, but of course it says it needs to send a verification code to that number (which I cannot access as my iPad is using the same number as my iPhone!)..

Help!!

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Check handoff settings for which phone number is connected, which I guess is your phone number.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
iPads can't receive texts so you'll have to put the SIM in the phone to receive the verification code.
Also check what number is showing in settings, phone, my number and look in message settings to see what number it shows there as reachable by.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

Daffodil184
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, Thank you for this.

The bundle includes 100 texts and the adviser yesterday did say that the iPad can and should receive/send texts. Indeed, it does send them, but the number that shows is my phone number, not this new one.

I just need to know how to stop it using my existing phone number, rather than the new iPad number!

Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Check handoff settings for which phone number is connected, which I guess is your phone number.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 5

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Daffodil184, how are you getting on with your new iPad? Any progress since you last posted?

Welcome to the forum!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 5