cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone was locked by O2 even though I was never a customer

Anonymous
Not applicable

My iPhone 5 which from the day I got it was using a Giffgaff sim. Now that 4G is pretty much standard and O2 stupidly didnt think about that, I want to leave Giffgaff. I purchased a sim only rolling contract from Three tried to insert it into my phone and discovered it was locked. I contacted Giffgaff they told me that they do not have the power to lock the phones as they use O2's network. So then I contacted O2 via the live chat and over the phone, they then denied that they locked it. I checked with Apple and they confirmed that it was indeed locked by O2. So again I contacted O2 told them what Apple had said and they proceeded to tell me there is nothing they can do unless I have an O2 number, very reluctently (as I know how awful O2 actually are) I bought an O2 pay and go sim. From the very first minute I got the sim O2 shining customer service showed how bad they actually were, by misinforming me with lead to me being under £15 credit which I needed to top up, they denied they made the mistake and told me I HAD to top up another £10. I finanly got through to someone on the phone and they sorted that issue. It took multiple days for my IMEI to register to O2 before I could even begin the unlocking process. Now I'm in the unlocking stage and I expect to be up until the very last minute even though I have informed how urgent this is that I have a phone as I will be leaving home without any means of contact. 

Thanks for forcing me to this brilliant network and your great levels of co operation!

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

I refuse to pay the call surcharges and I'm away from home at the moment so I cannot use a landline, also I'm constantly checking my credit balance and the £15 is still there.

Message 21 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Which Payg tariff did you choose ?

On some ringing 4445 is free.

Message 22 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's an O2 unlimited but I'd rather not as I don't want to be charged for anything (such as a connection fee) as there is exactly £15 credit for the purpose of the unlocked.

Message 23 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok.

If you've not activated the tariff then make sure you've turned off mobile data so your not charged the £1 Web Daily fee. I've done that before. 😞
Message 24 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145091 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
I'd fill in the form again. The money usually gets taken straight away.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 25 of 39

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't been able to fill the form in all of my requests have been through the live chat. I don't have 2 frequent phone numbers I call in order to fill the form out as the sim is just being used to unlock.

Message 27 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

You will have had to make some chargeable calls to latch the imei of the iPhone to the 02 payg account.

Just put those numbers down.

Message 28 of 39

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

That will be a problem for you then. O2 need to associate your P&G number with the phone to do the unlock. I take it from previous comments that you were misadvised to just top up £15?

Message 29 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

That will be a problem for you then. O2 need to associate your P&G number with the phone to do the unlock. I take it from previous comments that you were misadvised to just top up £15?

This was advised by me in the first reply to the OP @jonsie 

Don't know

What a confusing situation.

Message 30 of 39