cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone was locked by O2 even though I was never a customer

Anonymous
Not applicable

My iPhone 5 which from the day I got it was using a Giffgaff sim. Now that 4G is pretty much standard and O2 stupidly didnt think about that, I want to leave Giffgaff. I purchased a sim only rolling contract from Three tried to insert it into my phone and discovered it was locked. I contacted Giffgaff they told me that they do not have the power to lock the phones as they use O2's network. So then I contacted O2 via the live chat and over the phone, they then denied that they locked it. I checked with Apple and they confirmed that it was indeed locked by O2. So again I contacted O2 told them what Apple had said and they proceeded to tell me there is nothing they can do unless I have an O2 number, very reluctently (as I know how awful O2 actually are) I bought an O2 pay and go sim. From the very first minute I got the sim O2 shining customer service showed how bad they actually were, by misinforming me with lead to me being under £15 credit which I needed to top up, they denied they made the mistake and told me I HAD to top up another £10. I finanly got through to someone on the phone and they sorted that issue. It took multiple days for my IMEI to register to O2 before I could even begin the unlocking process. Now I'm in the unlocking stage and I expect to be up until the very last minute even though I have informed how urgent this is that I have a phone as I will be leaving home without any means of contact. 

Thanks for forcing me to this brilliant network and your great levels of co operation!

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

From his first post though....

"O2 shining customer service showed how bad they actually were, by misinforming me with lead to me being under £15 credit which I needed to top up, they denied they made the mistake and told me I HAD to top up another £10. I finanly got through to someone on the phone and they sorted that issue."

It seems he is reluctant to top up further and chat have submitted it. O2 though cannot associate it with the IMEI number of the phone unless calls are made.

Seems we are at an impasse here and can't really offer anything else of relevance.

Message 31 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I though the solution had been reached when i said "You could get it unlocked via the way your doing now and then fight your case for the money back here http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain"

And the reply was "That I what I plan on doing, thanks. The phone came sim free with the contract so it wasn't locked to them."

I concur with your statement of "Seems we are at an impasse here and can't really offer anything else of relevance." jonsie

Message 32 of 39

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 33 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is getting a little confused. My IMEI is linked with my number I called 1 number. The unlock process started Tuesday. Regarding what I said about being misinformed by the live chat guru's, I was changed to an O2 unlimited add on or whatever they are called and I was told that I needed to call a number to link the IMEI. I then asked if I would be charged, which is where the miscommunication/ misinformation took place, as I connected 2 calls then checked my balance and was at £14.50. I managed to get 50p credited back as a result of that through the phone conversation with customer services.

Message 34 of 39

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
The £15 o2 unlimited tariff gives unlimited o2 to o2 calls so just call another o2 number, call me if you don't know anyone else on o2 and that will give you your 2 numbers - The form is by far the most reliable way of getting it unlocked - Live chat are useless !!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 35 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
@jonsie said "There's a saying BoB...you can lead a horse to water...."

I think we've come full circle on this one.

I'm just hoping now to see a post confirming resolution to what is a clear process to Unlock a phone via 02. slight_smile
Message 36 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still nothing and it's coming close to the 24 hours since I last spoke to the guy assuring me it will be done within the 24, and my balance is still £15. This is an absolute joke

Message 37 of 39

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
Jo, unless you follow the advice we have given you here, we can't help you any further.
We see this over and over and know how to sort it out so please follow the advice given slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 38 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've requested another one using the form earlier and spoke to a guru since and it didn't even show up on the system.

Edit: It has been unlocked. Not sure if its a result of the form or the end of the 24 hours I was given yesterday but it is finally unlocked. Thanks for the replies and you were certainly more helpful than the gurus.

Message 39 of 39