Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting abroad charges

Slushpuppy1
Level 3: Thinker
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi all. I occasionally text my dad in lanzarote(he has a sim card for there) it usually costs around 16p per text. The last couple of texts I have sent are now costing 26p per text. I can't find anything about price rises. I am on a pay monthly contract. Can you shed any light on this please

Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It should be costing you 35p per text.
http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/calling_abroad_from_uk
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 77

G_d
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Slushpuppy1 wrote:

Hi all. I occasionally text my dad in lanzarote(he has a sim card for there) it usually costs around 16p per text. The last couple of texts I have sent are now costing 26p per text. I can't find anything about price rises. I am on a pay monthly contract. Can you shed any light on this please

I have the same issue. Internation texts were costing me 16.4p (which is 20p with VAT included) until 31st August 2016, and since then they have been 29.2p (35p with VAT included). I have Pay Monthly and I received no notification. Has anyone else received notification of this? The website here http://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub confirms a rate of 35p for Pay Monthly customers, but Pay & Go customers are only being charged 20p. How is that fair? 

Elsewhere on O2's website http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/Tariffs/pm/pm_charges_terms.html the tariffs for Pay Monthly still today list the cost of an internation text at 16.4p (i.e. 20p including VAT). This seems outrageous to me.

Message 3 of 77

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
@Toby looks like some links that need updating.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 77

G_d
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
@Toby looks like some links that need updating.

It's more than just the links, I think.

Should O2 not have notified customers that international texts would almost double in price on 31st August 2016? Was anyone here notified of that? I certainly wasn't.

And does it make any sense for international texts for Pay Monthly customers to cost almost double what they cost Pay & Go customers - particularly as all other tariffs for Pay & Go customers seem to be consistently higher than they are for Pay Monthly customers (which makes sense).

Therefore how do we, the customers, genuinely know which link is correct? The one stating that international texts cost 16.4p (20p including VAT) or the one that states they cost 35p? If there is an error on the website, why assume the correct figure is the one that has doubled overnight without any notification to a figure that is almost double the tariff paid by Pay & Go customers.

Message 5 of 77

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I've tagged @Toby as he is the only one who can go find out the answers mate.
I'm a customer the same as yourself so can only go on what the website says, but no, I didn't get any notification of any price changes either.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 77

G_d
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I'm a customer the same as yourself so can only go on what the website says, but no, I didn't get any notification of any price changes either.

Thanks MI5.

If anyone here did receive such a notification then I'd be most interested in knowing that - particularly when it was sent and what it said.

Message 7 of 77

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@G_d wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Thanks MI5.

If anyone here did receive such a notification then I'd be most interested in knowing that - particularly when it was sent and what it said.

I certainly didn't get a text about any changes....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 77

G_d
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Does @Toby usually yield a response? None so far, and over three days have passed.

Message 9 of 77

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Usually yes, but I know things are a bit hectic at the mo.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 77