Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting abroad charges

Slushpuppy1
Level 3: Thinker
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi all. I occasionally text my dad in lanzarote(he has a sim card for there) it usually costs around 16p per text. The last couple of texts I have sent are now costing 26p per text. I can't find anything about price rises. I am on a pay monthly contract. Can you shed any light on this please

Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @G_d,

I as an individual do not always have all of the information about O2 all of the time. Its a huge company with many different aspects. Also, we cover many queries from the community and there are lots of conversations. Sometimes, there is a bit of a queue to recevie updates. I have asked again for any information on this for you and shall update when I have any more to share.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 21 of 77

G_d
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi @G_d,

I as an individual do not always have all of the information about O2 all of the time. Its a huge company with many different aspects. Also, we cover many queries from the community and there are lots of conversations. Sometimes, there is a bit of a queue to recevie updates. I have asked again for any information on this for you and shall update when I have any more to share.

Okay @Toby , but this discussion has been going on for over a week now over an issue that dates back to 31st August, and these are not questions about a trivial matter. Clarification is needed about the cost of an international text for a Pay Monthly customers because customers are receiving and paying bills every day without a clear indication of the correct price. Remember that the O2 website gives two different prices on two different pages (you haven't said which page is wrong), and it seems that no notification was ever sent (we certainly have no evidence at this stage that anyone was ever notified). Surely someone in O2 should be able to answer all of these questions with ease - many people should be able to answer them in fact. If they cannot then the only rational conclusion is that the price hike must be an error. In which case it must be addressed sooner rather than later, and not by some vague open commitment to share information if and when you ever receive it.

Message 22 of 77

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@G_d when I query these sort of issues on twitter o2 require the exact path you take to get the 2 results so far I have not found a way to get to the page you linked to above.

Perhaps if you post the route to the 2 separate international tariff pages that are giving confusion then Toby can feed that back.

Not defending @Toby here but there are 2 major issues on the community at present that are stretching his limited resource's.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 23 of 77

G_d
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@G_d when I query these sort of issues on twitter o2 require the exact path you take to get the 2 results so far I have not found a way to get to the page you linked to above.

Perhaps if you post the route to the 2 separate international tariff pages that are giving confusion then Toby can feed that back.

Not defending @Toby here but there are 2 major issues on the community at present that are stretching his limited resource's.

The important issue really is not that O2 are slow to update their website - it is too easy to focus on a website inconsistency and miss the real problem as far as customers are concerned. I couldn't care less when O2 get around to perfecting their website. The issue is that one of the two website pages in question shows a much higher tariff of 35p (versus 20p - 16.4p before tax) that is currently (since 31st August, to my knowledge) being charged to Pay Monthly customers. This higher tariff does not appear to have ever been announced and no-one ever seems to have been notified that the price was due to almost double. If after a week Toby cannot find anyone at O2 who knew it was going to increase, or who knew that notifications were created (and sent, or not sent?), then how do we the customers know that the error is not in the alteration of the price from 20p to 35p on 31st August (bear in mind that no alteration of the Pay & Go tariff for international texts was made)? And if this massive price hike was intended, but O2 decided to tell no-one about this - not their customers and not their staff - then an apology is the least that we the customers deserve.

Message 24 of 77

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have clicked on both links on my PC and they both displayed...so no problems for me finding them. Additionally I also have friends living in Spain and Tenerife so if there are changes to the texting costs then I feel it's important to know about them. I realise the forum is busy....with due respect, that wont help people who are risking a high bill due to charges they are unaware of....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 77

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Better communication of any changes from O2 could have saved all this.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 77

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Cleoriff yes the links work in the post but the misleading one I cannot find a page that links to it hence asking @G_d for the steps to find this page http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/Tariffs/pm/pm_charges_terms.html which to me looks like a very old more details popup from the tariff pages (maybe pre refresh days and all prices changed) all the links I have found in the shop give the link to the international hub as per the other link .

eg like this screen shot if that makes sense that way @Toby can ask for the old orphaned page to be removed from the website

intsms.PNG

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 27 of 77

G_d
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

But @adamtemp64 can you really confirm that the 35p tariff is the correct one? @Toby did not confirm that. Should we have to use powers of deduction to guess what the correct tariff should be? We are bound by our Pay Monthly contracts to O2, and under those contracts O2 must surely have obligations to us too - including informing customers when they intend to almost double the price of certain commodities. As @Cleoriff and @MI5 implied, O2 should have notified customers of this major price hike if it was intentional. And if it was intentional then how come nobody who @Toby has spoken to in O2 seems to be able to give him any answers or information about this price hike. So maybe O2's behaviour is not so disgusting if this was unintentional. If it was intentional then it is disgusting. Excuses that O2 are busy right now just don't wash with me. If this was going to be a busy time then they should have chosen a different time to almost double the tariff for an international text (for Pay Monthly customers only) and hope that we wouldn't notice or complain. I send a lot of international texts, so I noticed pretty quickly. If you don't send that many then this is no more than a matter of principle (which is no trivial matter considering how much collectively we pay to O2), but for those of us who do need to communicate with friends and family abroad this is infuriating as is O2's continued silence on the matter in the hope that it will go away.

Message 28 of 77

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@G_d as another customer like you I can only confirm what information is posted on the website but as you can see from my screen grab above it links to the international hub that has the new prices you have quoted.

I will ask again where did you find the old page you linked to ?

I am also going to ask on twitter I will post back once they reply .

Apple Watch series 4

Message 29 of 77

G_d
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@G_d as another customer like you I can only confirm what information is posted on the website but as you can see from my screen grab above it links to the international hub that has the new prices you have quoted.

I will ask again where did you find the old page you linked to ?

I am also going to ask on twitter I will post back once they reply .

I found it a couple of weeks ago while searching for an explanation / notification of the tariff increase - and I found none. I saved the link, but I did not record the precise steps I took to reach the link.

Message 30 of 77