cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up outgoing mail on Android device using O2 SMTP server

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope somebody can help me, my main email account is a Karoo one, I have set this up to receive incoming mail with no problems.

However I have never been able to set up outgoing mail, I have followed what appears to be the general advice on the internet which is to set the outgoing settings as follows:

SMTP server:   smtp.o2.co.uk

Port:                    25

Security type:  None

Require sign-in:  ticked

Username: My O2 username

Password: My O2 password

When I click 'Done' it comes up with a box displaying 'Checking outgoing server settings' for a few seconds and then comes back with the following:

"! Could not finish

The server does not support the authentication methods"  with an option to 'Edit details' which when clicked takes me back to the outgoing settings and I note that it always changes the Port back to 587.

Any help gratefully accepted!!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It is from an an android perspective.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
K9 is another good mail app.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried several apps, including two of those mentioned above. The fact remains that, to retain my primary address as a "send" address, I need *either* to be on my own LAN wifi and use the (unauthenticated) broadband provider's outgoing SMTP, *or* be on 3g/4g and use the (unauthenticated) smtp O2 server. I have yet to find a means to use WAN and retain my primary (non-Gmail) email address as the apparent sender.

To overcome the need to change the settings depending on whether at home or on the go, I have TWO email clients, both of which receive, one of which successfully sends when I am on LAN and the other of which successfully sends via 3g/4g, but not vice versa, and neither works when on WAN.

Message 23 of 23