cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up outgoing mail on Android device using O2 SMTP server

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope somebody can help me, my main email account is a Karoo one, I have set this up to receive incoming mail with no problems.

However I have never been able to set up outgoing mail, I have followed what appears to be the general advice on the internet which is to set the outgoing settings as follows:

SMTP server:   smtp.o2.co.uk

Port:                    25

Security type:  None

Require sign-in:  ticked

Username: My O2 username

Password: My O2 password

When I click 'Done' it comes up with a box displaying 'Checking outgoing server settings' for a few seconds and then comes back with the following:

"! Could not finish

The server does not support the authentication methods"  with an option to 'Edit details' which when clicked takes me back to the outgoing settings and I note that it always changes the Port back to 587.

Any help gratefully accepted!!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Yes I have just looked. it says Hull and some parts of East Yorkshire on Google..and found this on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karoo_%28internet_service_provider%29

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Not much use to us in Cov then.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 23

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Not much use to us in Cov then.....

Not a very good reputatioon apparently. Read one report of third worst in UK...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope this helps.

smtp.o2.co.uk going through Karoo most likley will fail as most ISP do not allow relay this is to protect from spam mail sent from their servers and then getting black listed.(The fact you are trying to send xxxxx@o2.co.uk mail address through Karoo server is a no go). At work our exchange server is configured not to allow mail relay only addresses with company domain can send through it. The easyest way arround it is get a domain name hosted with a hosting company that provides SMTPAUTH (Secure SMTP). With that you can send your o2 mail but using their SMTP servers which you will have to log into with details they provide. One that comes to mind is namesco.

Hope this helps.

Message 15 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure if you solved this. I have a talktalk broadband provider and a completely different email provider. My main PC outgoing email settings are talktalk - port 25 - and if I use those on my mobile, when connected via home wifi they work fine, but at no other time.

My permanent solution - ALMOST as you tried - smtp.o2.co.uk through port 25 - but not requiring authentication, and before sending mail turn OFF wifi. Right pain but it works. I wonder if I can request a software upgrade to do a wifi poll and depending on whether enabled it chooses different outgoing mail servers?
Message 16 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump

Just replaced/upgraded my phone - still the same problem, still the same workaround - and still a pain!  Come on O2 - let's have a means to authenticate your SMTP stored on your O2 phones without having to disconnect the Wi Fi.

Message 17 of 23

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Use a different email app.
I use the gmail app and can send and receive on all my addresses on WiFi or mobile data.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Use a different email app.
I use the gmail app and can send and receive on all my addresses on WiFi or mobile data.

Must admit after being dragged kicking and screaming into the world of Gmail...it is pretty damn good tongue

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 23

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I use GMail on the tablet but use myMail on the phone (handles 9 different emails).

Message 20 of 23