smart watch connection to O2 wifi

cam2424fg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there,
I can connect my Android phone to O2 wifi (in Sainsbury's) and sign in to O2,
but when I connect to it with my Android smartwatch it immediately says "cannot sign in to this network".  Does anybody know what the difference is ?
A setting ?  It's a Samsung Galaxy watch 6
Thanks, Cameron

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11255 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

Because you are an o2 customer and it simplifies the authentication journey for o2 customers... If you arent an o2 customer then it pops up with a login page that asks for personal data, which you cant fill in from your watch...  

The reason retailers and other venues provide o2 wifi is to provide a Value added service, and from the data I have seen on the place I work's deployment is no one connects from anything but mobile phones, and also its a way to collect customer data, and flow through the store... 

If you work at Sainsburys then you shouldnt be using o2 wifi, but the colleague wifi...

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148670 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28437 Solutions

@cam2424fg 

The watch is only capable of connecting to your phone, not any other external data connections.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 9

madasaf1sh
  • 11255 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

@cam2424fg 

Because the watch wont authenticate via the method required by the o2 wifi network, so your watch cant sign in to the network. 

--
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
Message 3 of 9

cam2424fg
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you madasaf1sh that's good to know. 
My watch connects to other wifi networks using WPA/WPA2. 
Do you know what O2 wifi requires instead ?

Message 4 of 9

madasaf1sh
  • 11255 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

@cam2424fg 

It doesnt use WPA/WPA2, it uses the sim card to authenticate, which Smart Watches dont have the ability to use as the functionality from memory is not built in.. 

--
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
Message 5 of 9

cam2424fg
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

why would O2 wifi require a SIM to authenticate when the reason that O2 provides public wifi
is for devices not to need to use a SIM ?

Message 6 of 9

madasaf1sh
  • 11255 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

Because you are an o2 customer and it simplifies the authentication journey for o2 customers... If you arent an o2 customer then it pops up with a login page that asks for personal data, which you cant fill in from your watch...  

The reason retailers and other venues provide o2 wifi is to provide a Value added service, and from the data I have seen on the place I work's deployment is no one connects from anything but mobile phones, and also its a way to collect customer data, and flow through the store... 

If you work at Sainsburys then you shouldnt be using o2 wifi, but the colleague wifi...

--
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
Message 7 of 9

cam2424fg
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks again madasaf1sh, great explaination.

So my watch (which isn't an O2 customer since it hasn't got a SIM) connects to the O2 wifi which tries to open a login pop-up on my watch which it can't do, then either my watch or O2 realises it has failed and gives the message "cannot sign in to this network".
It would be nice if O2 used a different way to authenticate instead of a pop-up, though I can't think what.  Perhaps a watch app which syncs with O2 account data on the phone..?

Message 8 of 9

madasaf1sh
  • 11255 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3153 Solutions

To be fair that is how a lot of hotspots work, and it hasnt changed in over 10 years or so... and it seems to work for 99% of users.. 

I did it in Lidl the other day, the phone came up with a POP up, to sign after it had connected to the network, and we do the same in my workplace with guest wifi.. 

I think the use case is so niche it wont happen @cam2424fg 

--
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
Message 9 of 9